Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing that some (maybe all) of the 4th gens already have wiring in place for VTEC. Check out this link. I have also heard it some other place, but cant remember where. Can ayone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
909 Posts
i heard something about all are wired except 4ws models, but i could be wrong.

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
preludechic said:
I like your new sig pic, red92s. You're such a sweetheart. I'm glad to see that you're doing good.
the caption is kinda blurry: "voted "best hair" for the Decatur High School yearbook, Sarah's ability to find humor and joyin the worst of circumstances inspired those around her to also be their best". Thats the picture they are using in the yearbook for the best hair award.

So, no one can confirm/deny the existance of this wiring?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can confirm that my 92 S was not wired for VTEC when I did my swap. However, I know member quikprelude over at hp.com was pre-wired on his 95 SE. So Its possible that the SI's are wired but the S's arent, or maybe its a 93 and after thats wired...wish I had more info for you.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
my 4ws wasn't wired...it is now:D

v

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kevie88 said:
I've heard that some 92's are, but after that (93-) they aren't. My 93 S was not wired for VTEC.
I'll walk out to my 92 right now and check if someone can tell me what wires I'm looking for. The dude on hp.com (thread above I posted) said the wiring was taped behind the dash though.

This is from the new writeup on hp.com about the h22 swap:

My car wasn't wired for VTEC so I took an old connector that was similar to the ECU one and broke it and took some pins with a few inches of wire and added the pin to the ECU for pins A4 and D6. Then I passed some wire through the firewall, there's a place for that under the fusebox, and I connected the VTEC solenoid to the A4 pin and the oil pressure switch to pin D6 and the other wire of the oil pressure switch should be wired to the ground on the thermostat housing
Are the VTEC solienoid and oil pressure switch the ONLYwires you need to add, because I keep getting different answers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
For my 'S' model I had to add:

Vtec switch (one wire, signal to ecu)
Vtec pressure switch (two wires,one signal, one ground)
IAB (intake air bypass) two wires, one +12v, one signal)
Knock sensor (one wire, signal to ecu)

My 'S' model wiring harness was a little too short on almost all the connectors, so I had to do quite a bit of cutting, splicing and soldering. It's not hard at all, just time consuming.

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevie88 said:
For my 'S' model I had to add:

Vtec switch (one wire, signal to ecu)
Vtec pressure switch (two wires,one signal, one ground)
IAB (intake air bypass) two wires, one +12v, one signal)
Knock sensor (one wire, signal to ecu)

My 'S' model wiring harness was a little too short on almost all the connectors, so I had to do quite a bit of cutting, splicing and soldering. It's not hard at all, just time consuming.
So you just added the signal wires (knock, VTEC, oil pressure) to their appropriate locations on the ECU connector? Do you happen to know which pin locations they go to?

Sorry if I am being a dunce here, but if we get this figured out and written up, it can go to the H22 swap FAQ.

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kevie88 said:
:bigthumb: Hope that helps!!
Is there a pin diagram in the Helms manual? I ordered one, but havent gotten it yet. . . "A17" dont help much if I dont know which hole it is. I have the B18c giagram, but no H22:(

If I do the swap this summer, I'll make a little graphic showing the pic locations.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, the service manual has great diagrams, makes everything easy(er)! I PM'd you!

I wanted to add (totally O/T -sorry) that I noticed in the 'engine swap faq' section of the 4th gen FAQ's, someone stated that the engine mounts are different for the 3 different engines that the 4th gen came with. THIS IS INCORRECT!. All engine mounts for 4th gen preludes are the same part number.

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kevie88 said:
Yep, the service manual has great diagrams, makes everything easy(er)! I PM'd you!

I wanted to add (totally O/T -sorry) that I noticed in the 'engine swap faq' section of the 4th gen FAQ's, someone stated that the engine mounts are different for the 3 different engines that the 4th gen came with. THIS IS INCORRECT!. All engine mounts for 4th gen preludes are the same part number.
Wow, I think it was P2W that said that. I seem to remember this conversation coming up before, but we never really came to a conclusion as to if they were identical or not. Hmmm....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts