Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a solo short shifter and I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on them. How do they feel, look, perform. Any rubbing issues or anything else. Thanks

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I did a bunch of searches when I was deciding what to do with mine. You really won't get a simple answer. Half of the people will love shifter X and half will hate it. Half will rub and half won't. The SOLO seems to have a better reputation than the others.

I'll tell you this, I ended up shortening my stock lever and I am very happy with the results and there are no downsides. I would do that before getting a short shift adapter. There can be complications with an adapter, the worst being a broken shifter cable.

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Broken shift cable :confused: due to extra force being put on it or what? I'm kind of poor right now so if I can get the same results by just cutting it then so be it.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The adapter lifts the stock mounting point of the cable putting more pressure on it where it passes through to the chassis. This also causes the shifts to be stiffer and harder. At least one member with an adapter had his shifter cable break and they are expensive to repair.

I heard enough bad things about adapters to scare me away from them. Some people have no problems and love them, but I didn't want to risk being the one who did have trouble.

Shortening you shift lever is not exactly the same as getting an adapter, but the results are comparable. A shortened shift lever gives you shortened throws, but they aren't notchier or stiffer. Do a search in this forum. I and several other people have posted our reviews. It's a very easy mod to do also.

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
the SOLO is identical in apperance to the DC. but no rubbing issues from anyone I've ever heard.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i have the neuspeed and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the Solo on my 'lude and I really like it! The install into my car was documented on www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-shifter/shifter.shtml. It does rub the inside of the console just a bit when going into fifth gear so I left out the screw that attaches the console on the forward-most passenger side corner and that solved the problem. I also shortened the lever just a bit and added a Momo boot and shift knob at the same time.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i shortened my shift lever a wee bit more than an inch...or i just cut off all the threads...and since i have a MOMO knob i didnt have to make new threads...it definitely has shorter throw...i like it...helps me shift alot faster...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts