Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Menschkeit: True.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done all the searches, but read inconsistent things about the overall effects. From what I can gather, car feels tighter and more responsive, might sit lower. What is inconsistent is that some say you get a smoother ride that absorbs bumps better, while others say car becomes too sensitive and you feel every bump in the road. So wondering which is it, smoother or bumpier?

Also, I assume that with adequate silicon lubing on install squeaking is not an issue? Even long term?

Lastly, have also read about reliability/wear problems from 71dsp. Should I be worried?

·
Because Raptor!
955 Posts
I had them on my car for 2 years but only put about 2000 miles on them myself. From what I noticed the only timed they squeaked is when I pulled out of my drive way and the suspension really had to flex.

The car handled amazing with them and Neuspeed race springs and blown oem shocks. It handled even better with the TEIN HA's I put on later. It was definatly a stiffer ride but I'm not sure if it was from the bushings or my suspension. With the TEIN's set to the softest dampening the car rode really nice on the highway and only felt harsh on larger bumps.

Urethane is going to be stiffer than rubber and won't absord as much as the rubber bushings so I'd say they will make the ride stiffer, but I think your overall ride quality is going to matter more on your spring/strut/coilover.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
There is no real answer. Some people like them. Some people don't.

Give them a try and see if you like them.

From what I'm told by Billy and others, I don't think I'll invest in them.

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
they handle amazingly, but for every pro, there is a con... for this the ride quality is great until you hit a small bump or a pebble, when it sounds like you bend your wheels and screw your suspension, but if you like those sounds, go for it...

- Russ

·
Double Eeww Tee Eff!?
966 Posts
^^yeah...it freaks me out every time I hear that crap. But I'm starting to get used to it.

I've actually become a more careful driver because of it (sort of). I drive more slowly now, at the speed limit, for fear that I might really damage something cuz of the extra stiffness. Haven't had any problems and hope not to. Thumbs up for the bushings. The ride is definitely stiffer and also bumpier but it's no biggy....you get used to it...it's worth it in the end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bushing kit was probley the best thing i did for my car. It made the handling much more responsive and it even drives a LOT better than it did with the stock bushings. My ride comfort was not affected at all. I actually think it is much better. Also i dont bottom out as much beacuse when i hit a hole or a bump there is less suspesion travel. Mine dont squeak at all. I highly recomend it for your ride.

·
Menschkeit: True.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm... :laugh: :rolleyes: :laugh:

so even within this thread there seem to be conflicting opinions on ride quality. Anyone have an explanation? I know it's obviously all subjective, but you still have to wonder when there are diametrically opposing opinions. Everyone agrees you get more responsive handling. Great. When it comes to ride quality though, seems some people say its bumpier/more sensitive/stiffer, but then there are those few who say it's actually smoother--which then rekindles my desire to try this. Can any owner attempt a way to reconcile this?

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
What??? You have less suspension travel? That's not due to the bushings, unless you installed longer poly bump stops, which would be a silly thing to do, IMO.

My experience is they're trash. I'd use the front radius rod bushings, and maybe the rear upper mount bushings, but that's it. Maybe the shock mount bushings, but certainly not the inner LCA bushings. There is too much play in them, especially after a track event or two.

buffmanextreem said:
The bushing kit was probley the best thing i did for my car. It made the handling much more responsive and it even drives a LOT better than it did with the stock bushings. My ride comfort was not affected at all. I actually think it is much better. Also i dont bottom out as much beacuse when i hit a hole or a bump there is less suspesion travel. Mine dont squeak at all. I highly recomend it for your ride.

·
4ce fed H22
1,041 Posts
I haven't had them on my car for too long, but so far so good. I love them, it was a very big difference for me. to me it just felt tighter, not stiffer. I am running Tien HA but I did not change the settings. so I know it was the bushings that made the difference.
Ill be checking in a while to see if I have the play that 71dsp has. I hope mine last longer.
as for squeaks, I only hear it when I go over speed bumps or in to driveways. I lubed the hell out of all of them, even wrapping the sway bar with Teflon tape where it contacts the new bushing.
and there is no way I can se that bushings will lower a car more or limit your travel. none of the bushings are offset.
also anyone doing all the bushings on the BASE 5th gen will have a problem with the front lower CAB. the set they sell is for a SH, and they make no set for the BASE. so I used the 5th gen front CAB set for the uppers, and the 4th gen CAB set for the lowers.
71dsp, did you ever contact ES with a complaint? they boast that the poly will long outlast rubber. if you did what was their response?

·
Registered
130 Posts
devtec said:
hmmm... :laugh: :rolleyes: :laugh:

so even within this thread there seem to be conflicting opinions on ride quality. Anyone have an explanation? I know it's obviously all subjective, but you still have to wonder when there are diametrically opposing opinions. Everyone agrees you get more responsive handling. Great. When it comes to ride quality though, seems some people say its bumpier/more sensitive/stiffer, but then there are those few who say it's actually smoother--which then rekindles my desire to try this. Can any owner attempt a way to reconcile this?
I think it has to do with the age of a car. My bushings were so deteriated is was causing my alignment to to go ofline very quick. They were so bad that my entire car was very bouncy and i would bottom out on everythning, a very uncomfortable ride. And yes it is suspension travel becuase the bushings are firmer and dont allow parts to flex and move as much. I hardly bottom out as frequently as I used to and my car is just as low as it was before. After i installed the bushings it just made my suspenision feel new. But it is also a 92, almost 14 years old. So a newer car that has a comfortable ride will notice much more differnce in comfort when switching to harder bushings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
71dsp said:
What??? You have less suspension travel? That's not due to the bushings, unless you installed longer poly bump stops, which would be a silly thing to do, IMO.

My experience is they're trash. I'd use the front radius rod bushings, and maybe the rear upper mount bushings, but that's it. Maybe the shock mount bushings, but certainly not the inner LCA bushings. There is too much play in them, especially after a track event or two.

so what kind of bushings would you recommend/do you use?

·
Thread Ender
1,644 Posts
I'm having mixed feelings about them. When I first put the suspension on, I did everything at once (shocks, springs, rear sway, bushings)...so I really can't judge on how they were initially. The car was rock solid, and I loved it. ...but now, I've had the suspension on for 9 months now, and the car feels like it is having alignment issuses when the suspension is under load. Mostly under acceleration. The back end moves right and left as well as up and down...and I've been under the car several times to check nut and bolt tightness...and for suspension damage.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Stock, unless you have the money to have a spherical bearing setup made.

Nothing wrong with stock. David has raced on stock bushings for 3 years with a great amount of success.

boostinh22 said:
so what kind of bushings would you recommend/do you use?

·
4ce fed H22
1,041 Posts
10 years later..... the ES bushings are shot on the rear LCA. I'm sure they are bad all around the car, but the rear toe is the only alignment that could not be adjusted into spec.

Since I installed the ES bushings, Billy's words have haunted me. I never tracked the car, but I did put her through years of sprited driving. I'd look for slop for the first few years and then kind of figured he had a bad batch. Now that it's time to fix the issue I might just go with ES again since I won't need a press to install them. I personally think it would be better to go back to stock, at least in the LCAs. Ill give it more thought, but figured I'd update this thread since it came up in my search for replacements.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i like mine, but havent had them for very long to comment on durability

1 - 19 of 19 Posts