Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i just got a 2001 base Lude, in real good condition i might add, and i am obviously already thinking about what i want to do with it. I've been searchin the posts and stuff, and got some info, but what in your opinion is the best performance mod to go with?

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Get JDM door sills! That would be the most harcore first mod :laugh:

·
VTEC On Ice = BAD
741 Posts
Depends on what you want to do...

Getting the quality, basic bolt-ons from start to finish...like I/H/E/P/VAFC/Cat/Coilovers/ will run you like $1500 installed and tuned...and for that price you could have gotten over halfway to a supercharger/turbo setup lol.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
I personally would recommend going against basic bolt ons (engine wise). You won't gain much for the money spent. I would concentrate on suspension and FI/N2O if you want to go fast.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
You'll benefit most from suspension mods. You may also want to look at getting a better set of tires if the stock RE92's are on the car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
dont listen to them bolt ons are great

an exhaust will help with looks/sound but you wont feel much gain if any. cold air + exhaust you will start to feel gains. Pulleys are a real good mod too, you can feel gains from those. And yeah suspension mods will be great.

In my opinion the h22 is a lil delicate under boost so a proper FI setup is going ot cost way more than what a basic kit costs making it not worth the expense to me.

And if you want to get NOS be careful, I blew my engine to pieces with it...get a WET kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll give you the lowdown. I've had mine for two years and only have I/H/E. Get the freaking Jackson Racing Supercharger first. Save the cash you would have spent on everything else and get it. I wish I'd started with it. Unless you want show and no go. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
vector4 said:
And if you want to get NOS be careful, I blew my engine to pieces with it...get a WET kit.
Nitrous (NOS is a brand) is a safe alternative as long as you take the proper precautions. I would recommend coming over to the nitrous forum for anyone interested and read through the stickies, they will explain what precautions you need to take. If you don't follow them you could damage your motor, but incidents like that can be easily prevented.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
bolts on suck...true and false....for the price paid for bolt ons you dont get good gains...unless its pullies or a Mugen header....hehe

i would recommend also going to the Nitrous Forum........that or FI but with our brittle ringlands...i would cost a fortune to make the engine withstand boost and then theres the price of the kit and then theres tuning and maintenance....

Nitrous is the way to go.....

·
Registered
409 Posts
yes there are precautions you can take with nitrous....and I think the only precaution I didn't take was a wet kit rather than a dry kit. Which is why the 30 deg air caused my engine to run lean and detonate.

I don't run nitrous anymore because thats the best answer I can come up with as to why, and thats not a very good answer. But I am just cautioning as I read this forum for many 10's of hours and felt with my conservative nitrous setup nothing could've possibley gone bad, but it did.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
do you know exactly what went wrong with your setup?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
it's not always bout the gains tho....sometimes it's just bout makin it your own an havin fun doin it ::shrug:: sure, there's things that we could do instead....an you know that we're not doin it to up the resale value :rolleyes:

he asked what the best performance mod was....not if you thought that he should mod it :rolleyes:

if you're lookin to spend some money then definitely go FI...nitrous ain't always as safe as everyone thinks it is. NA is good an probably a little more reliable....but for the extra money it costs, you won't get as much gains as FI :( either way, make sure you read a lot of the threads in the related forums here on PO before jumpin into it too soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts