·
Old School
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in OT due to the game reference :D

my results:

112.7 hp @ 6000
109.0 tq @ 5000

was done on a mustang dyno this time around... my previous pull that i did on a dynojet down at torque freaks netted me 99.0 hp and 96.8 tq, car was all stock at the time... only mods on the car this time around is the header and most of the exhaust (stock cat and 6" of oem piping still left) for a gain of 12.7 hp and 12.2 tq... i hit 100 ft. lbs. at ~3400...

after we did all the sound recording we needed for the "street" exhaust, we unbolted the muffler and redid the same recordings, as well as a little power pull for the "open" exhaust

holy fudge is my muffler restrictive... i put down:
117.0 hp @ 6000
113.4 tq @ 5000

a gain of 4.3 hp and 4.4 tq, TO THE WHEELS!!!! just by removing what should be a fairly well flowing muffler!!! not only that, but the gain was present pretty much all the way across the board... this tells me that a test pipe or high flow catalytic converter should probably show similar gains...

now, for the reason behind me spending 4 hours on the dyno today, for free :p

recently i recieved an email about a new game that was in the works by a "major game studio"... this game will feature a Prelude, and will have a real exhaust sound for each of the three "stages" of exhaust that you can install on it... the sound you hear for this Prelude will be of my car, save for the stock sound, albeit tweaked just a little bit so it can be used in the game...

there are some really cool features just with the car sounds in this game, i'll fill you in more as more information is released... it's currently still considered "classified"... darn non-disclosure agreements... :eek:

i'll post up some pics, the dyno graph, and possibly a sound clip later... :bigthumb:

·
4ce fed H22
1,041 Posts
damn, too bad they are not in my area.. ask if they need to hear a turbo'd 5th gen with 3" exhaust. haha

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha... no turbo cars, turbo sound is layered on top of the n/a sound...

ludetech is local, was very dissapointed when i told him they weren't looking for turbo cars... i even asked :laugh

didn't realize why they couldn't use the turbo car untill i got there... 3 microphones in the engine bay, two out by the exhaust... would pick up too much whine on the darn turbo car...

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
....and they used an S.....what a pitty. they dont even get the vtec xover...j/k at least when the game comes out we will all buy it because there is a prelude....SHWEET!

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, automatic, too!!

next time i visit a dyno i really need to work out a way to control the downshift... can't do full throttle till 3500 or so, downshifts otherwise...

was nice to play with the torque converter, though... force the lockup, stall speed is at 2500, we recorded down to a sustained 1000 at WOT :dumb: :twitch:

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
graph:

go ahead and ignore the massive dip in the second run, we didn't disconnect the tranny cable to prevent the downshift...
"base" run is with the full exhaust, "test" run is with the muffler removed...

pics:

getting the microphones set up...

rotating the intake around to get a better microphone position on it...

first setup, decided that there was too much wind noise from the fan...

second setup, the one we used... the mic above the header and the mic back by the intake manifold are for recording "ambient engine noise", so i'm told...

microphone placement on the exhaust...

more of the same...

how we worked the open exhaust setup... same two mics as before...

random picture i took while running... i think this was during the original baseline pull...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts