Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint my entire car. I have zero experience in painting anything related to cars, but I'm willing to experiment so I can learn. I really don't care for the outcome. If it looks bad, I can send it off to a shop or just try it again. If it looks good, the kudos to me.

I have been reading some articles on how to go about doing this. Unfortunately I was not able to find anything on PO.com about painting an entire car.

Some locals are telling me about spray booths that one can rent to paint the car.

I just want to get some opinions from the PO.com community on how I should handle this. Some links to DIY articles would be nice also.

good idea or bad?

·
RHD Club
2,240 Posts
Few of us (me too) have done this in the garage. What do you need to know? You need a good compressor and decent spray gun, good weather and know how the paint works that you are using tells you how it needs to be sprayed.

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went down to the public library last night and checked out some books (haven't done that since high school!). i got 2 books on how to paint your own car... they are mostly about restoring vintage cars but it helps out nonetheless. so if anybody is planning on doing that same thing, go to your college or public library and get some books.

i'm probably gonna rent a spray booth, i found a couple that are close to me. I want to start the sanding process this weekend though.

Qveon: the paint on your jdm lude... did you do that yourself?

·
Registered
297 Posts
all that is really needed to paint is a 5hp compressor, a good spray gun will probably be like 100$. go to the junk yard get a hood ro something and practice first. Distance and pressure are key elements.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was going to do this myself but never had time.. Supposedly the most important factors are the prep (sanding etc), and to have the car in a cleaned air environment, so nothing sites on the car while you're painting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts