Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the planned endeavor I am budgeting for (along with 5zigen fn0r1-c's in black with polished lip (17x7's, 42 offset), ground control coilovers (1.5 inch drop front, 1.3 inch rear) and I'm going to install the front and rear tanabe sustec strut bars i've had in my room (still in that perfect red metalic color) on the car.

Really wanted to see if any other owners out there have any pics of their prelude's with paint jobs in the area of $1700-2200.00 (give a little or take a little). The reason I ask is I'm starting to budget the things out which I want to do with my car. This old prelude (1997) has WONDERFUL originally conditioned paint,that get's complimented on a lot (by people who aren't as critical on the car as enthusiast, but even they [fellow enthusiast] are shocked at it's original paint when it's just been washed and waxed).
The body is fairly straight the only real physically noticing damage is 1 quarter size dent on the crease of the front left fender (about half way to the the bumper in terms of length of where it's at) And then there is another two (individual, not pair) dents almost symmetrical in terms of placement on the car. They are both half way down the side of the door, "the typical bump your door on something" kind of dents. Those are both about dime sized.

Budget for dent removal. $250.00-$300.00
Budget for paint job. $1800.00.00-$2100.00
I plan on just painting the outside of the car, regular Flamenco Black Pearl, or perhaps switching to Nighthawk Black Pearl since I don't think there would be a noticeable difference if the engine bay was left the same, along with the door jams.
I also have considered buying a clear coated carbon fiber hood ($500.00 oem style) if it would bring the cost down, or even if i'd break even on cost of painting my oem hood. (which I figured I could sell (for $250.00 plus shipping) since even tho the paint is a bit oxidated in spots, is no dent, 99.95 rust free and still in good condition) excellent piece for someone to restore their prelude to OEM spec with if they planned on getting a paint job.

Other things are I planned on taking window trim all off and bumpers and lights before taking it in. A buddy of mine who underwent auto body vocational (a transfer program at our highschool) for 2 years would help me mask the car off. No painting would be done by us.

I would want the stock base sides painted to match the color along with the rear valence in the back, along with the p1 styled ebay lip (which I think looks rather good).

Another key reason as to repaint the car would be to prevent the rust starting that is starting in a quarter sized group of little bubbles from spreading from the surface (which isn't much at all.) to the actual body.

Mudguards and rubber wheel well stripping would be removed (for good).

total expected cost for an expected pretty good, but not show quality dedicated paint and body work.

Around $2200.00 if I do the above.

That is my plan...but still. I am interested in you members that have had monochromatic paint jobs for the price of what is stated in the above. Also interested in any techniques you might suggest for keeping cost and quality at surprisingly decent and monetarily efficient and cost effective levels.

Post em' up!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, didn't know whether to post this is detailer's corner or 5th gen discussion since it largely referred to maintaining the car's timeless, outward appearance. Mods, feel free to place in appropriate forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts