Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
price gouge much

i really hate their arbituary witchcraft of a pricing system, they claim supplies are gonna get low, funny thing is theres never any lines at gas stations like in the 70s, supply is fine, they know they can raise prices and we cant do jack to stop them

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
if you think they're making too much money stop buying their products.

·
Proud Daddy
4,863 Posts
schwett said:
if you think they're making too much money stop buying their products.

Go ride a bicycle. :malken:

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
VeeTec said:
Go ride a bicycle. :malken:

I haven't paid for gas in over 4 months. :D

But then again, public transportation and bikes here are more convenient than driving and the train systems here are amazing.

·
Texas
734 Posts
PreludePowerR said:
price gouge much

i really hate their arbituary witchcraft of a pricing system, they claim supplies are gonna get low, funny thing is theres never any lines at gas stations like in the 70s, supply is fine, they know they can raise prices and we cant do jack to stop them
umm...where are u getting this from? if the majors could control prices we would have never let gas fall to $10/bbl.

supply is getting tighter...theres not much ability to pump more. not to mention, even if we could import more...we don't have refining capacity to handle it...why? b/c the regulations required to build new ones means the refineries cost way too much money when oil was at $10/bbl. Now that price is high, refineries are finally able to be expanded/built.

Now who sets the price? Certain not the majors. Collectively the 4 majors control about 6% of world supply. The rest comes from OPEC countries which say "this is how much you're paying when you load your ship at our dock." And that is the price you see on the world market for a bbl of crude. If you want to blame anyone, blame the OPEC nations for being greedy, and blame China for being the ones that were the first to be willing to pay that much (in turn driving the entire market up) and making supplies tighter.

Here's another point of comparison - 2005 figures...

Profit Margin for Exxon - 10.7%
Profit Margin for Intel - 22.3%
Profit Margin for Merck - 21.0%

Notice that even with average oil prices above $50/bbl, profit margins for the largest public oil company is still only 10%. Imagine what they were at $10/bbl.

These are the facts. Go take your witchcraft and conspiracy theories to the crock doctor.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
SNsLude said:
easier said than done.
we all make choices. if you choose to live a lifestyle that relies on gasoline, you aren't really in a position to blame the companies that make the very product which enables that lifestyle...

and anyway, as cruxader pointed out, they make a lot of money but that's because they're BIG. percentagewise, they have good years and they have bad years. strangely i don't recall consumers getting together in the late 80s and early 90s and saying, we should really be paying more for gas because all these oil companies aren't making any money, houston is full of empty office buildings, it's not fair!

the free market is a b1tch.

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,835 Posts
I pulled into this crackhead little town off the highway in Georgia.... $2.75 for Premium :mad: because I was under E and had to cough up the dough... price gougeing continues till this day.

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
schwett said:
we all make choices. if you choose to live a lifestyle that relies on gasoline, you aren't really in a position to blame the companies that make the very product which enables that lifestyle...

and anyway, as cruxader pointed out, they make a lot of money but that's because they're BIG. percentagewise, they have good years and they have bad years. strangely i don't recall consumers getting together in the late 80s and early 90s and saying, we should really be paying more for gas because all these oil companies aren't making any money, houston is full of empty office buildings, it's not fair!

the free market is a b1tch.
True ^, but in some cases like in big cities here in Cali, gasoline isn't a choice for some people, but instead a necessity. And I mean this just in general. I'm not one to really complain that much about it... what can you do?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i've always wondered why the same company gas stations (cheveron) are all different prices in the same city... or even the next block over. i know a lot of it is due to the private owners, but one would think they would want to lower their prices for competition rather than increase them :shrug:

gas prices suck :(

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
Lucke said:
i've always wondered why the same company gas stations (cheveron) are all different prices in the same city... or even the next block over. i know a lot of it is due to the private owners, but one would think they would want to lower their prices for competition rather than increase them :shrug:

gas prices suck :(
Location, Location, Location. The guy closer to the freeway/main road has the highest price. The prices dwindle as you get closer to population. They also dont get gas at the same price. The more you buy, the cheaper it is.

What i want to know is, why does the same truck show up at multiple gas stations? I watched a Beneto Truck pull out of one (Arco) gas station and into another (some pump&stab). The only gas trucks i see on average or those Beneto' trucks and occationally a chevron truck.

I have noticed the price war in the bay area has almost disappeared. You use to pay between $0.25 and $0.50 more for gas in San Francisco, than even 20 miles away in San Mateo. Now its within $0.10-$0.15.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Deepmist said:
That's like saying if you don't like grocery store prices just starve to death.
no. it's like saying, if you don't like the price of swiss cheese, buy american cheese instead.

those of us who are adults choose where we want to live and what we want to drive. we choose where to work and thus how far we need to drive. by and large americans make these choices with little or no regard to how much energy their comfy lifestyle might consume, and i have little or no sympathy for those who now complain that energy is too expensive.

sure, a house might cost more in a different neighborhood closer to a job. it might actually cost less. schools might be better in one place or another, and jobs may be more plentiful in one place or another. the bottom line is that you can't have everything, and the days of choosing your favorite place to live, work, send your kids to school, and so on are coming to a close as the true ramifications of this lifestyle become more and more apparent.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The price of gas was one of my motivations for finding a job involving no commute. I now fill up the Prelude about once a month - and that's with the nearest grocery store being 15 miles away. :bigthumb:

That said, I miss driving.

·
Texas
734 Posts
achemze said:
What i want to know is, why does the same truck show up at multiple gas stations? I watched a Beneto Truck pull out of one (Arco) gas station and into another (some pump&stab). The only gas trucks i see on average or those Beneto' trucks and occationally a chevron truck.

I have noticed the price war in the bay area has almost disappeared. You use to pay between $0.25 and $0.50 more for gas in San Francisco, than even 20 miles away in San Mateo. Now its within $0.10-$0.15.

Answer to your question is this...just cuz it says "Chevron" on the station doesn't mean they get gas from a Chevron refinery or a Chevron distribution center. In fact, most areas only have one or two refineries nearby, maybe owned by a competitor. But you'd have agreements with them which says "give me X grade fuel and add my additives into it and deliver it to my station". Its cheaper than everyone having their own refineries, trucks, etc. etc.

Now a lot of the pricing differentials between cities have to do with local fuel regulations. Adjacent counties can have different fuel standards/additive requirements/etc. Unfortunetly this can also lead to price instability - a refinery has to predict in advance how much demand for a certain type of gas is in an area. If they're off, and theres a shortage of a certain formulation, then prices for the areas that need that type will go up. If you want to lower prices by 10+ cents across the nation, lobby your senator and representatives to establish a national fuel standard.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Cruxader said:
If you want to increase fuel efficiency by 10+ mpg across the nation, lobby your senator and representatives to establish a higher national fuel mileage standard.
fixed. :)

·
Texas
734 Posts
^^ i like that idea too.

While they're at it, they should require large trucks and 18 wheelers to have mudguards in good working condition. I hate being 50 ft behind one and getting a huge rock thrown at my windshield.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts