Honda Prelude Online banner

smallest rim to fit 225/45-17

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what is the smallest rim width that will fit a tire size of 225/45-17? I have poked around on discouttiredirect.com and have looked at wheel size and tire size fitment and it seems odd. I looked at tire fitment for a 17X7, 17X8, and 17X9 and it says a 205/45 and 215/40 will fit all of those sizes, but to me that doesn't make sense because the wheels are getting wider so it seems that a wider tire (like a 225) would fit.

My bottom line question is I'm trying to get a 17" wheel to fit on a 225/45-17 tire. I think a 17X9 rim will fit but I'm not sure.

#5 ·
Ok so I'm thinking of going with a 15" wheel. I'm looking at either 205/50 R15 or 225/50 R15. On the wheel/tire sticky and it said for a 225 you should use at least a 7" wide rim, I can't find any under 6.5" so that is an issue for me. With the 205 I can find a lot of tire options and wheel options, but I always thought the wider the better so I'd love to do the 225 but I can't find many options for it wheels that are 7" wide. Any opinions? Thanks :)

#7 · (Edited)
I understand our website can be confusing at times. We are working hard on making it more user friendly ;)

The 225/45-17 size is recommended on anywhere from a 7" wide wheel to a 8.5" wide wheel. 7.5" is the ideal width. The maximum rim width we recommend for your vehicle is 8" with an offset range of +40mm to +45mm. +35mm to +40mm, the wheel will be sticking out of the fender slightly. The maximum tire size we recommend running in the 17" size is a 215/40-17. A 225/45-17 is pretty aggressive and will most likely need fender modifications. There are a lot of wheel options available in the 16x7 size and the offset range is about the same. If you want to do 16", I would suggest running tire size 215/50-16. You have a better selection of tires and this size will fit the best on a 7" wide wheel.

We are currently running $50.00 off any set of 4 wheels :bigthumb: and we will mount and balance your wheel and tire combination free of charge. Let me know If I can assist you further.

17" Wheel Options

16" Wheel Options

#8 ·
^
Thanks a lot for the info. I was looking at the discount tire direct site and I have found a lot of options for 15" and 16" wheels (which I think I'm going to go with instead of a 17") and there are some 7" wide rims. I talked to my local tire dealer and they said that the BFGoodrich tires I was looking at might not be a good idea, because I'm looking to put them on at my house and drive to the track (about 1.5 hour drive) and they said with the BFGoodrich drag radials being soft rubber my trip down to the drag way would take a lot of tread off the tires. Is there another option? Is there a tire out there that is good for the track but is not as soft as the drag radials?

#9 ·
Unfortunately there isn't a tire produced that will give you the same performance at the strip like a drag radial will. Drag radials have a soft sidewall and rubber compound to help with launching. You can find sticky tires that are not drag radials but they have stiffer sidewalls which take away from your launch. I agree with your local dealer, with such a long commute, the BFG will be worn down in no time. You could always put the two wheel assemblies in the back and install them on your car when you get to the track.

#10 ·
Unfortunately I think my overall goal is going to have to be putting the tires on when I get there...I just need to think of how I want to do that. I can't just leave my tires laying on the ground, but that is something I'm just going to have to figure out. Thanks a lot for the advice and information. I really appreciated it.

#12 ·
Use a 17"x7" rim for some extra clearance if you run a 225/45-17" tire.

They will fit fine and free up some space.

#11 ·
My choice is a 16"x7" rim with an offset range of +40mm to +45mm.

For tires I will run a a 225/45-16 BFG KDW. This combination will handle great and should fit the wheelwell properly with little to no modifcations. There are other companys that make this tire size if you prefer a different brand.

I like the extra sidewall a 16" wheel has to protect the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.