Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sits alot because its not my daily driver and for a while now when i first start it i get a little bit of gray smoke when the car is first started. However the smoke only comes out if i admediately rev the motor right after turning the car on. The amount of grey smoke is very small. What could be causing this? I have a feeling its just because of the cold weather and the car sitting??? you guys have any idea is it anything to be concerned with???

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Don't immediately rev the motor! :mad: That's the worst thing you can do for it.

white smoke: oil or coolant
blue smoke: coolant
black smoke: unburt fuel
gray smoke: condensation in exhaust

If the smoke is more white/blue than anything it could be the valve seals weakening with age. If it's more gray, it's probably just fuel or condensation and nothing to worry about.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Yeah, believe it or not, if you daily drive a car for a long time (in my case, almost two years) and then it sits for awhile for body work (about a week or so, minimal movement) I was getting CEL's up the wazoo.

Apparently its a common thing when I guess your a big 'aggressive' with a car and then it sits and the body shop drives it like a granny. After awhile, it worked itself out though. Drive it around for like 15-30 minutes and the problem should go away.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Really so what should i do in about 4 months i know it seems far, but it actually isnt.

anyhow im gonna be parking the lude for good seeing i got a sh1t box, and the lude now becomes a show car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i usually try to let the car warm up for 20 minutes or so and i have no problems!!! IM in the same boat my car is a show car so it sits alot and since the weather has been horrible i dont take it out!!!

·
Your mom seems to like it
612 Posts
Sounds normal. I would start it at least once a week let it idle for at least 15 -30 minutes get all the fluids up to temp. Take the old girl out for a spin. Sure you use all 6 gear 5 fwd 1reverse. What for oil leaks if you leave her sit for extend periods of time. I have seen seals or other thing dry out or deteriorate after long periods of not being used.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i usually change my oil and gas if it's sitten for a little bit over a week. Just for the safe measure.

and yeah, don't rev it when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
939 Posts
From my experience:

Blue smoke = Burning oil
White smoke = Coolent or condensation if cold

I wouldn't worry unless the smoke is light blue color. When the engine is cold the ECU adds more fuel so when you rev the engine you get unburned fuel = black smoke.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ghostlude82 said:
i usually try to let the car warm up for 20 minutes or so and i have no problems!!! IM in the same boat my car is a show car so it sits alot and since the weather has been horrible i dont take it out!!!
I heard that idling a car for long period of time is bad especially when the engine is cold. The oil pressure is low. The emissions are horrible. And then when you start driving, the tranny is cold but the engine is hot.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
how do you warm up your tranny? :laugh:

it's bad too turn on the engine, cause it gets used.;) but we have to turn it on to drive it, right?

its' better to warm the engine up so nothing goes wrong with it inside and I'm sure it helps on the life of the engine, pistones, seals, etc...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe I should explain more. Just because the engine is warm doesn't mean you can drop a clutch at 6000 RPM's.

Actually 60% of engine wear occurs during the first couple minutes of operation. Those who are really concerened about not damaging anything should use a pressuried oil injection when starting the car.

Here's current school of thought is warm up the engine.

Let the car idle for 30 secs to a minute.
Gently drive the car until it is warm (< 3000 rpms)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
thats' what i thought you meant.

you do have to drive the car gently until the shifter goes into gears smoothly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't immediately rev the motor! :mad: That's the worst thing you can do for it.

If the smoke is more white/blue than anything it could be the valve seals weakening with age. If it's more gray, it's probably just fuel or condensation and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Dude black grey smoke = condensation!???? Water??? You really don’t belong on this thread you don’t know what your talking about man....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts