Honda Prelude Online banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Lurkist
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Jealous. I saw between the buried and me a few months back. It was amazing. They played with The Dear Hunter.
I bet that was a good show!

Saw Tool up in Louisville a couple weeks ago, Shinedown last week (an invite from the local JM rep - NOT my idea :laugh: ), and AAL on Friday. :)

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,163 Posts
Wow Tool is touring? Was it a festival. Getting tickets in CA is basically impossible; they sell out immediately and you can't really get them for sticker price. I have found that out the hard the last 6-7 years. I still cringe that I got floor tickets and saw them up close for $55 in 2006. :eek:

·
Lurkist
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Wow Tool is touring? Was it a festival. Getting tickets in CA is basically impossible; they sell out immediately and you can't really get them for sticker price. I have found that out the hard the last 6-7 years. I still cringe that I got floor tickets and saw them up close for $55 in 2006. :eek:
I bought two lower-level seats, maybe a couple weeks before the show. $400 from seat geek. Show was killer, though. My first time seeing them.

·
3,163 Posts
On a side not the two bands with complicated names mentioned in the last 6 posts are nuts. They take "progressive" to a new level. the longer named band is "better", the drummer kinda reminds me of Danny Carey, but looks like Adam Jones :laugh:

I know that that kind of music has existed for a long time but it never grew on me. I've seen some good local acts in my day and they barely attract crowds.....pshhh, try playing a local gig with this music, you'd have nobody go to that show.

I see music like that as music where you really need to be signed to a label, or live in a city with millions of people. Oh and you also need to be and play with total badasses. :eek:

·
Lurkist
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Intervals is another band along the same progressive vein that I'm into. It's a little more melody-driven than AAL, but still crunchy when it needs to be. They did also put out one album w/ a singer, which I loved.

Oh, and Plini! They're kinda like an Awake-era Dream Theater, but without James LaBrie to cheese it up.

edit: Plini -

·
3,163 Posts
^^If you fast forward all the BS to about 1:15, I REALLY like that. Incidentally my least favorite part is the drums...but I love the guitar work and Bass. Honestly no vocals is typically a problem for me, but not this time, that sounded fantastic. I have never heard of these guys before you post and I would pay money to see them immediately. Very good, would be a fun show.

·
Lurkist
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like the drums, but whatever. :p

My only criticism is that they seem to fly the keyboard parts in, which seems to be something a lot of bands do now. To me, backing tracks during a live performance is cheating. Hire a guy and have him play the parts. Simple as that.

·
3,163 Posts
Absolutely agree on the backing track BS. Can't be hard for a band with this much clout to find someone talented enough to play those parts for their tour.

As for the drum comment, I meant I like all the other stuff going on more than the drums, but yes the drums are not easy, heh, not trying to belittle his efforts.

·
3,163 Posts
Yes, I agree. I cannot imagine a drummer actually counting through....let's say....6 measures, of which there are 3 different time signatures used....and actually propelling the band. It's just a feel thing and I think the guitar and bass would do a more effective job.

Drum based music and guitar driven music are kinda like FWD and RWD vehicles.
Get the same job done in similar ways, but they each have their strengths and times when they should be implemented.

That's the irony of people saying "yeah your the drummer man, everyone has to follow YOU"
At which point I cringe and often call BS. That "leader" roll changes from each part of each song many times.
The days of drummers being the primary backbone to a band are mostly gone in modern rock-based music genres.

·
Lurkist
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes, I agree. I cannot imagine a drummer actually counting through....let's say....6 measures, of which there are 3 different time signatures used....and actually propelling the band. It's just a feel thing and I think the guitar and bass would do a more effective job.

Drum based music and guitar driven music are kinda like FWD and RWD vehicles.
Get the same job done in similar ways, but they each have their strengths and times when they should be implemented.

That's the irony of people saying "yeah your the drummer man, everyone has to follow YOU"
At which point I cringe and often call BS. That "leader" roll changes from each part of each song many times.
The days of drummers being the primary backbone to a band are mostly gone in modern rock-based music genres.
Eh... I kinda disagree w/ that. The drummer sets the tempo. The band parks wherever the drummer is. I used a click in my last band - my in-ears got the mix + tempo, so it was 100% on me. Steve (bass) and I were the meat of that band. The other two were icing. People love an insane guitar player and a killer front man, but the rhythm section is what shakes the asses. :)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts