Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i know everyone will call me stupid, but I was on this long straight highway yesterday. my friend was beside me in his f150. he was going about 100 thinking he was faster than me. so, i gassed it and in about 10 secs i was up to 130 mph.....wouldn't go any faster because of the rev limiter. what is that average Si top speed?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Your speedo is off by a lot more than that my friend. At 100+mph, it's 10mph off. If it shows 140, you're actually doing about 126... yeah it sucks, but that's how bad they are up high. They start to go crappy after 70mph. Doing 85, you're only realy going 80, and the variance just gets bigger as you go up.

But to answer your question, I dunno, I was indicating 130 the other day and I wasn't tapped out yet.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Top speed on H23 is 129. I have done 134, but it was going down a hill. The H23 doesnt have much more power in the engine to go faster than that unless you build it up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know if you can put a digital speedo in the prelude? :D

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
prelude styl said:
Your speedo is off by a lot more than that my friend. At 100+mph, it's 10mph off. If it shows 140, you're actually doing about 126... yeah it sucks, but that's how bad they are up high. They start to go crappy after 70mph. Doing 85, you're only realy going 80, and the variance just gets bigger as you go up.

But to answer your question, I dunno, I was indicating 130 the other day and I wasn't tapped out yet.
I don't think all are that bad. I hit rev limiter which is a tad under 130 and my speedo read 135.

·
Roar!
665 Posts
prelude styl said:
Doing 85, you're only realy going 80, and the variance just gets bigger as you go up.
Not according to the officer that gave me a ticket for goin 90.
He was right on my speedo.

I've taken it to 132 and i'm cutoff which is suppose to be the top speed. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Doing 90 you should really be doing about 84. I've tested a few preludes and they've all been about the same. Maybe some of you got lucky, but I know that you guys don't all have accurate speedos.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
137-8 in the red.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that sucks, i thought that my car was doing 150+ ( i had the limiter removed) now your telling me i was only doing 130?

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Si's are gear limited to 127 mph true speed. You just run out of revs.

I hit 115 on the speedo last week, probably around 105 - 110 actual.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
G_Loc said:
Si's are gear limited to 127 mph true speed. You just run out of revs.

I hit 115 on the speedo last week, probably around 105 - 110 actual.
Where did you find this info out?

Also, keep in mind that your gearing is changed if you have any other tire size then 205/55/15 on the car. You can go faster then 127mph but how much, I'm not at all sure. (with oversized tires/wheels)

127 . . .I don't want to beleive it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Si4WS said:

Also, keep in mind that your gearing is changed if you have any other tire size then 205/55/15 on the car. You can go faster then 127mph but how much, I'm not at all sure. (with oversized tires/wheels)

not much faster my 215/35/18's are less than a 1% bigger.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
on my automatic lude i have gone about 134 before i ran out of room. and i was still under my rev. so maybe i got a lil more,as for my speedo being off? i am unsure

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Si4WS said:

I found a few websites that claimed this and I also found a "top speed calculator" online that calculates a car's top speed. You just give it the gear ratios, tire diameter, and RPM and it calculates it for you. It was dead on with the gear top speeds listed in the owners manual, so I trust that site.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
G_Loc said:

I found a few websites that claimed this and I also found a "top speed calculator" online that calculates a car's top speed. You just give it the gear ratios, tire diameter, and RPM and it calculates it for you. It was dead on with the gear top speeds listed in the owners manual, so I trust that site.
Sounds cool. Remember the URL?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts