Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would swapping an Si for a Vtec do any harm ? Would it be worth it ? What are the pros and cons to it ? Also, would I need a new transmission, or could I use the same one I have with my Si for the Vtec ? Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
From what everyone has said the swap costs a lot and has reliability problems. For that price, it just seems like you should go turbo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverLudeSi:
From what everyone has said the swap costs a lot and has reliability problems. For that price, it just seems like you should go turbo.</font>
If you find a good shop (atomic,belaray) to do the swap with good, FUNCTIONAL parts, the swap is a good mod. but it is $$ and for the money, you can do turbo or do a sh*tload of all motor mods.

It's your choice. Si engines are sweet. I'd keep it and build it.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
If you find a good shop (atomic,belaray)

</font>
ahhh..disregard taht...for some reason, i assumed you were from SoCal.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by geotropic:

1) Would swapping an Si for a Vtec do any harm?
2) Would it be worth it ?
3)What are the pros and cons to it?
4) Also, would I need a new transmission, or could I use the same one I have with my Si for the Vtec?

Thanks.
</font>

Alright (LudesLudesLudes cracks knuckles and gets comfortable in chair) here's the deal with the swap. I've lived through it, and I'm going to try my best to be objective. You'll notice that I've numbered the questions in your post - I'll try to answer them all.

1) No it would not do any harm, unless you call going faster doing more harm
Just drop the bad boy in. Well, it's not that simple, but it is a hell of a lot simpler.

2) Maybe, if your current motor is going strong. Absolutely yes, if your current motor has died and gone to motor heaven. \

3) Ok, I'll tell you the pros and the pros. Ok, ok, there is a con, and it's called money. Other than that, I can't think of a single thing the VTEC motor does worse. Maybe low end torque, but even that's debateable.

4) Yes, you can use your Si tranny, but your car will be slower. The Si has longer gearing than a USDM vtec which has longer gearing than a jdm vtec which has longer gearing than a type-s. It's up to you, but if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

As far as reliability goes - it all depends on how many miles the VTEC motor already has, how you drive, maintenance, and modifications. Yes, you can go turbo, but a H22 swap will be so much more reliable, that it isn't even funny. Turbo hondas with stock bottom ends are unreliable on a good day. I was going to go turbo too, but then Jeff at atomic showed me the two preludes sitting outside the shop with cracked pistons. They were both running 6 psi.

LLL

·
Registered
366 Posts
Oh about the reliability thing I said earlier, for some reason I thought you were talking about the Si/Vtec hybrid. A normal Si to Vtec swap should be reliable. Sorry about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts