Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Looking at a new prelude. Listed as $16,000. Called em and said it was in a accident. Front end but it was light. Now he wants to sell it.
2001 base 5-speed.
4k miles.
Brand new.
Fixed and ready to go.
What do you think?

FASIV

------------------
'93 Honda Prelude SI

·
Registered
317 Posts
Price is really low for the year. Ask for the invoice from the shop that did the repairs or see pictures. This will at least give you an idea how much was damaged. Ask what happened. Most people will take a picture of their car if it has had a mishap.

Just remember - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

"Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rogue:
Price is really low for the year. Ask for the invoice from the shop that did the repairs or see pictures. This will at least give you an idea how much was damaged. Ask what happened. Most people will take a picture of their car if it has had a mishap.
</font>
Good idea! If the damage isn't too bad, jump on it! This is a great deal in that case...almost too good to be true.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock)
-15.4 @ 90.8 (finally! ;))

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Agreed. "Light" means a complete front-end clip in salvage-yard speak!!! I honeslty wouldn't do it. You'd be better off, say, buying my '99 w/33k for $19k

Keep an eye out, you're bound to find a better deal. With an accident, it's completely up to the body shop that did the work. I wouldn't buy unless you can have a GOOD body man look over the car VERY well and even then, you're still taking your chances, there's no telling what else got damaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked for damage report... he said it wasn't too bad. The air bags went off so it must of been something. I'll see if I can get a invoice or something.

FASIV

------------------
'93 Honda Prelude SI

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
OH, and BTW, that's WAAAAAYYYYYY under what it should be. I'd be VERY cautious, whoever is selling the car will be losing their ass on it, loan or not. That's a good $4500 under retail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll think i'll test drive it. Bring it up to 100 and see if i hear and weird noises...
HOpefully it all good.
If it is I'll be ownin a 5gen tomorrow!!!

FASIV

------------------
'93 Honda Prelude SI

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just talked with the guy. He said there was no serious damage. They only things that was done to the car was body work. The only mechanical damage was to the radiator which was replaced. I think this is a nice deal. The only reason there is a salvage title is because the air bags went off. What do you guys think... need more info!!

------------------
'93 Honda Prelude SI

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FASIV:
The only reason there is a salvage title is because the air bags went off. What do you guys think... need more info!!

</font>
Uh, Salvage title? Dude that car was considered totalled if they gave it a salvage title. I wouldn't buy that car unless your looking to make it into a track only car or something. Don't do it! BTW factory warranty will NOT apply to that car since it has a salvage title. Basically your on your own with EVERYTHING on that car.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Take it to a shop you trust and have 'em check it out. A good body person can tell you exactly what happened to it. If someone I trusted told me it was ok, then I'd buy it for sure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A salvage title doesn't mean it was totaled does it? Salvage title could be for any reason; flood, stolen, sand storm, etc. I don't know... anyone else have any advice?

FASIV

·
Registered
59 Posts
My advice would be to stay away from this car. The salvage title DOES mean it was totalled, then bought back from the insurance company. My guess would be he would be making a killing by selling it for $16k - generally salvage cars are very inexpensive to purchase back from the insurance company. Your insurance premiums will be *much* higher on a salvage car. Plus, the factory warranty does not apply, so why not buy a 97-99 car with low miles for a similar cost?

Good luck!

-Dave

·
Registered
572 Posts
get all the facts first dont rush to buy just because it's under market value, you dont want to get stuck with a car that's damaged but best way to know for sure is what baked said, take it to a mechanic that you know and have em take a look at it

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FASIV:
A salvage title doesn't mean it was totaled does it? Salvage title could be for any reason; flood, stolen, sand storm, etc. I don't know... anyone else have any advice?

FASIV
</font>
Dude your trying to talk yourself into the car and where trying to tell you it's a mistake. No matter why it has a salvage title it's no longer under warranty and you'll never be able to sell the thing. Plus there will be NO value in the car becuase of the bad title. Why would you want to donate $14k towrds a head-ache? I mean send me the money and I'll turn you on to an ex-girlfriend if you want to suffer!

Make another post and ask "Who here would buy a car with a salvage title?" If you get 5 I woulds out of 100 replies I'd fall down in shock.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Go for it, i don't know why salvage title was even brought up...if the car is sold privately from one owner to the other why even bother mentioning officially that the car was damaged. I've mashed my front end twice, rear ended an suv and hit a wall...had the hood replaced, headlights and front bumper...cost about 3k. So if you want it to look like new you need to spend at least that much to fix it. Another way you could do it is buy insurance, file a police report that your car was hit in a parking lot and just pay the deductible for the repairs. When you buy insurance, they never look at the car, they just go by what you say.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Forget about that salvaged car! For now, do you think a insurance company/judger will give car without serious damage a salvage title? NO WAY! the insurance company will fight it to death for that.

You are just get yourself into trouble if you buy it. if you are lucky and the car drives perfect(which is highly unlikely), the best bet is you need to keep this car for ever in order to compensate the low price you paid. If you want to take the chance, go for it. But, if you like to take chance, why not just go and gamble, use the money you win(if you are lucky) and buy a brand new one, or if you lose, you know you are not that kind of lucky guy, then still drive your current car.

Think about this: if the deal is good, why the car is still there after a few days as now there are sooooo many bargain hunters everywhere.

Since you ask for advice, here are my 2 cents. It's up to you though. Good luck.

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
Registered
951 Posts
I guess I should clarify my statement.... I still say take it to someone you trust, but ask yourself this....

Will I keep the car for at least 5 years? If so, then you're fine. If you have hopes of turning around next year and trying to sell it, the title could come back to haunt you. On a side note, I've purchased a pre-wrecked car before and I had nothing but bad luck. Of course, my mechanic told me so as soon as he looked at it good. My mistake was not taking it to him first...

I even had to replace the gas tank...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts