Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a long time ago, I heard you are supposed to replace your shocks every 50-75 thousand miles. My car has 184,000 on it, and I doubt that the shocks have been replaced yet.

What I want to know is, does new shock really make a difference? Enough for it to be worth it? Shocks can be expensive, so I only want to do it if my ride quality will get better. And I know this may sound crazy, but are there such things as shocks that will give better handling and a nicer ride quality too? I would like a little better handling, but I also would like to soften the ride up a bit from the Preludes stiff frame, would this be a good idea in the first place?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
like you said, if your car has 184k on it and still the original shocks it would be a smart investment to replace them.

you could potentially run the risk of one of them giving out when you hit a pot hole for instance. that could cause some underbody damage. but usually old shocks should feel bouncy as a sign of needing to be replaced.

and if you want a soft ride just get a crown vic or some other land-boat. :laugh:

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAhahaha, yeah, serious, I just thought it was worth asking.

And about my shocks, no they work fine, and fell fine, I just think it might be a good idea to do it, and will it make a feelable difference if I do, or is it one of those mods that you really don't notice?

How much would koni's on all four cost, lets say not the super ultra performance versions, just the average koni's.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
HAhahaha, yeah, serious, I just thought it was worth asking.

And about my shocks, no they work fine, and fell fine, I just think it might be a good idea to do it, and will it make a feelable difference if I do, or is it one of those mods that you really don't notice?

How much would koni's on all four cost, lets say not the super ultra performance versions, just the average koni's.
no idea. i havent changed anything on my suspension yet so google will probably be your best friend.

but if you buy something from autozone that's a guaranteed OEM replacement part, then it'll feel (or should) as stiff as it does now.

only aftermarket performance parts will give you variation. which kinds and how much of a change? no idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Although yes the primary role of shocks are to give a better ride along with springs, another important role they have is to control weight shifting (front ,back - left,right) This means that they can change the way a car corners ( a decent bit ) and stops and launches ( not as much of a factor but one all the same) Personaly the way i have always looked at something is that if you are concerned with something on a vehicle or other piece of machinery, replace it . Shocks and Struts for a Lude on Rockauto are all roughly 45 bucks per corner. not really that bad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts