Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2 Slow 2 Show
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you luders out there have or has had this problem. I only have 3,500 miles on my lude and sometime it's a struggle shifting to first gear from a standing stop, have to mess with the clutch a couple of times just to get it in gear right. What seems to be the problem here, are the gears still in it's breaking in process and will it get any better in the long run? Thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
that is a normal problem that most lude owners go through. when you feel this happening, just put it back into neutral, take your foot off the clutch, then try it again. Myself, i always shift into 2nd, then into 1st and i do not have any problems. It becomes habit after a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
if it only goes partial way into first, you can let off the clutch and gas it a little slowly and it will slide in

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I usually just put it back into nuetral and double clutch..it goes in..doesn't happen often though.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
104 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
Myself, i always shift into 2nd, then into 1st and i do not have any problems. It becomes habit after a while.</font>
I do the same thing all the time - it goes into 2nd nicely and lines up the gears better and then slides into 1st without any problems.

By the way - does anyone out there actually use 4th gear on the 5th Gen Preludes..? The ratio is almost the same as 3rd gear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
happens with every honda car that i have ever driven. put in neutral, let clutch out, blip throttle and select gear.

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
I think everyone else but you uses 4th gear. 3rd tops out too soon if your booting it and need to downshift. I also use it on city streets - keeps me just above 2k RPM - good for the mileage.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
actually...you'll get better mileage if you run it at around 2500-3000rpms

------------------
2000 Ficus Green Prelude - Powered by WAAAAAAAAH PPPSSSHSHHH

What stands between a Prelude Driver and an ear to ear grin? About 5500 RPMs!

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My old 240sx did the same thing, my bro's 95 TSI does the same thing, my other bro's 318ti does the same thing, my lude does the same thing and the 911 turbo i just drove yesterday did it slightly as well. I think it's a common thing among all manual transmissions. 1st gear is very sensitive, just blip the throttle as you're trying to get it in 1st and you'll notice that'll slide right in right at a certain rpm.

------------------
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1995 Prelude VTEC w/ mods of course.
Why waste $ on a stereo? I juz' wan' speeeeeed n' looks:)

·
3,081 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by floundericiousFL:
actually...you'll get better mileage if you run it at around 2500-3000rpms

</font>
I think you probably would if you were varying your speed because 2k bogs - but for a constant speed, 2k is the best.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually, 2.5K is too low. Have you ever seen a fuel economy graph from Honda? It shows that the fuel usage falls from idle until around 3K depending on the engine and then gradually increases towards redline. It seems that fuel usage isn't totally tied to the magnitude of rpm.

·
3,081 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron97SH:
Actually, 2.5K is too low. Have you ever seen a fuel economy graph from Honda? It shows that the fuel usage falls from idle until around 3K depending on the engine and then gradually increases towards redline. It seems that fuel usage isn't totally tied to the magnitude of rpm.</font>
The bigger the engine, the smaller the RPM's can be though (it doesn't take as much to get the car moving with a big engine). It's really a fine line - like I said, 2k is great for a steady constant speed, but if you accelerate from that, you really have to stomp it. It has a lot to do with RPM's but the weight of your car, the size of you engine and even your rolling resistance all plays into it. It's just after the same commute to work for almost 2 years, I have a pretty good idea how much gas my car sips depending on how I drive - I mean how much I'm late...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
no he's right...the fuel consumption runs lower at 3000rpms than it does at 2000 rpms....the curve looks similar to a positive inflection parabola

what that means is that for less fuel, you can travel faster....which implies that you should get better mileage...

indeed, when I go on a road trip and I'm cruising at 70mph (~3500rpms)...I get over 26 mpg....but when I'm in town and I spend most of my time in fifth or fourth at ~2500-3000 (even when I don't hit many lights or slow spots) my mileage goes down 2-2.5mpg!

I think the fuel consumption plot is on one of the Temple of VTEC - Asia pages!

I'll see if I can find it and post it up on the board for yall

------------------

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

ok take a look....the units for fuel consumption are on the far right lower corner....

the units are in ([grams]/[PS])/[hour]

so this is measuring the mass of fuel required to generate one PS (very close to HP in terms of magnitude) for one hour at the given rpm

so what you should do in this case...multiply the number for whatever RPM you want by the amount of HP being produced at that point and you should see what the fuel consumption in grams per hour is....

------------------

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is referred to as BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption), right..? There's no real easy way to figure out where it occurs, is there..? I mean, it's not at the torque peak or the highest VE point........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts