Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and in the morning if i dont let it warm up until the middle bar its really hard to shift and stuff, what could be wrong? should i chnage my tranny fluid?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
How many miles do you have? Usually during the winter..sometimes it feels funny when i shift..but in the summer..its fine.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Hm...when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? I heard every 50,000 is okay... I haven't drained and added new MT fluid either..i have 44,000 miles.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no idea, i bought it when it had 139k, how much would it cost to cahnge it at a dealer?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't think it is the tranny fluid. I have 76,000 on my lude and my shifts were getting notchy so I thought I would change the tranny fluid and that might help. As far as know, my tranny fluid was never changed.

This weekend I took it to a shop to have the fluid changed along with a few other things and I was standing right there when the guy drained the fluid. He looked at me and said "the fluid is really clean."

Driving home after the change it felt exactly the same, still notchy. I've come to except that it is my syncro's which I might have to replace in the future. For now I can live with the notchy feeling rather than spending some serious bank on new syncro's.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
vpforeva: do you know if the car belong to someone young? hotshot? racer? anyways.. I've had my synchros replaced...under warranty though. I hope you don't have any resistance or crutch feeling going into any gears...

By the way...when i see vpforeva..i think of Vietpride..hahaha..

--Sam

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i bought it from a old white guy, the car was in really good condition when i bought it, in the morning when its cold i have resistance to go into first gear i guess, like its hard to put it in until it warms up, how much would it cost to replace the syncros?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vpforeva:
no i bought it from a old white guy, the car was in really good condition when i bought it, in the morning when its cold i have resistance to go into first gear i guess, like its hard to put it in until it warms up, how much would it cost to replace the syncros? </font>
Put it this way, it's cheaper to purchase a used JDM tranny and install it rather than having all the syncros replaced.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmmmmmmm, so how many years you think it'll last before i have to replace the tranny? in my current condition

·
Registered
28 Posts
50,000 miles? I get the tranny fluid changed like every 15K or so. Sounds often, but the shifting seems better to me, so I think it's worth it. Honda MTL of course. :)

Mark, what fluid was put into your tranny? The first time I had it changed, the dealer put in regular oil, and that just wasn't as good. :-( A few thousand miles, and my shifting was annoying enough that I had it redone!

As for it being hard to go into 1st, I think that's always going to be a problem. (I dunno the technical reason -- is it because it doesn't have a synchro?) Try not shifting into 1st unless you're at a dead stop. If it's still a problem, try changing the fluid with Honda MTL. If it STILL doesn't help, some people have posted a method to double-clutch, and that might let you get it into 1st easier. And if that doesn't work, well, good luck. :-/ But it's cheap enough to get the fluid changed, so why the heck not?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Mine is silky smooth again eversince it got warmer.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had the same kind of problem when I had my previous car (89 Accord). It is really hard to shift into 1st and 3rd when the car was cold. It will get better when warmed up. I had the dealer inspected it and it was the synch. But at that time, I was in school and really does not have money to replace them, so I drive it for another 6k miles w/o it become worse and sold it when it has 125k.

So, I would think it would be OK for a while, if it was not like that when you bought it. But, since yours has higher mileage, I am not sure how long it will last. Hey, the worst case would be the synch. is gone and you still can start the car in 2nd and drive to a auto shop and have it replaced (As long as 2nd works, that is.)

------------------
1999 Prelude 5spd
Premium Pearl White
0-60 6.7s 1/4 [email protected]

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vidgamer:
Mark, what fluid was put into your tranny? The first time I had it changed, the dealer put in regular oil, and that just wasn't as good. :-( A few thousand miles, and my shifting was annoying enough that I had it redone!</font>
As far as I know it had the original honda tranny fluid in it until this weekend (76,000 miles). I replaced it with Honda MTF again - still notchy.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts