Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my best friend just went to a mechanic and they told him that he needed to replace his shifter cables on his 97 mt lude... he said it would cost $650!! has anyone replaced their shifter cables, and if so how much $$ did it cost? Does anyone know how much he should be paying for labor and new shifter cables???

it seems as if when he shifts into first, the shifter is able to slide into fifth (position) but it's still in first, bascially there's a lot of play, and when he puts the car into reverse, he goes foward.

the pattern

|_|_|
| | |R

is gone

thanks,

eddie

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Parts should cost next to nothing. Labor would suck, but I can't see it taking 10 hours at $60 an hour. Tell him to buy a Helms manual and do it himself.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Shifter cables for a 97 MT 'Lude from the dealership (only place you'll find them....trust me.) is around 325.00 Its really not that hard to do it yourself. Having a lift handy would be helpful....but not needed. With some patience two people can do this within a couple of hours. Now to say thats the exact problem....I dunno.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well my friend called honda service & parts department and they said it costs 350 with tax for the shifter cables... there is no aftermkt for these cables so he'd have no other option of getting them for cheap... estimate job price + part = $550.
so that's $350 for the part - $200 for labor.... sound about right?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
12,349 Posts
this is honda youre talking about here so that sounds about right....id say try to do it yourself with a friend or 2 and a Helms

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.