Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late, when shifting to second high in the rpm's, its been a real *****. Most of the time, not engaging, but grinding. It happens almost every time now. If I pull real hard down when shifting, and hold it, it engages, but still grinds a tad. its just started doing this recently. Could it have something to do with my 2nd gear synchos? I was thinking about changing to GM synchomesh, and see if that helps. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My fifth gear started grinding recently, and I just switched to synchromesh. It doesn't grind anymore. Maybe it's only a band-aid, but it beats the hell out of trans work for now.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
I've been noticing this lately as well... its only when I'm in WOT and shifting hard. I guess I'm noticing it more since I got the intake and am loving the scream from the engine.

I've got 37k on the car now... I'm going to keep an eye on it though. If it does become a more serious problem, I have the 100k mile warranty. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Mine seems to be doing the same thing as of lately. It is only a problem when at high rpms. I dont know if something is wrong or I am just shifting lazyily. If I concentrate and shift hard it will go, maybe I am just not thinkin about the shift.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Sounds like your 2nd gear synchro is going. If you contine to force it into gear, you'll be rebuilding or purchasing a tranny. Changing the fluid will help, but fo the sake of the transmission, it'd be best to take it easier on 2nd gear. Continuing to force it will most likely result in an unpleasant outflow of money for repairs. Additionally, try slowing your shift down a bit as well as making sure the clutch is to the floor.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
^^^

Not unless you have a 100k mile warranty. :D

Then all you have to deal with is not having your car whilst you get the tranny rebuilt... :(

·
IM CURED!
1,165 Posts
that happens to me when i shift like a grandma....shift faster maybe your holding the pedal down to long

·
Registered
414 Posts
had the same probly with 3rd and 5th gear and had them replaced and it works like bran new now, if you wait to long you gotta replace all the gears too, my bill was $1100 Im lucky my dad owns a trans shop lol, all I paid for was the clutch and flywheel I wanted put in lol.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
mine did that but then again it only happened twice and thats because i didnt have the clutch all the way to the floor....now i put it through the floor and no more grind

·
I kerned the Serif
741 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, 2nd or 3rd would grind when I shifted above 3K RPM. Honda warranty fixed it free of charge, bill was roughly $1200 also..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure what it is now. If I rev up to 7400 rpms, press in the clutch in, and shift to second, it doesn seem to want to pop into the gear right away. I have noticed that my Skunk2 shift knob sits up higher, and could be contributing to the problem. I am cutting down the shift lever this week, and hopefully that takes care of it. I dont think its the synchros or the gear itself anymore. Its hard to explain how it feels, but it almost feels as if it were flexing before poping into gear. The problem is not there with the 3rd to 4th though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
anyone lookin for a clutch in the bmore md area I can hook you up with at good price for an install

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got the same 1st to 2nd problem. The only solution I've found is not to rush the shift. It is a sign of clutch wear as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts