Honda Prelude Online banner

What should I do?

• Just stick with what you can hardly afford, just get the clutch.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • You\'ll regret not getting the lightened flywheel int he long run, get it now with the new clutch.

Votes: 20 83.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my clutch is on its last limb now. I don't have money for a new one, but I am going to buy one and throw it on my credit card anyway. I am going with the ACT HDSS. Now seeing as though I don't even have money for the cltuch, do you guys think i should throw a lightened flywheel on my card as well? I will be doing the install so I won't have to worry about paying for labor. I've been thinking about it and I don't want to regret not getting a lightened flywheel while I have the chance to install it for free.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Just so that you know, the flywheel will bump you out of STS to DSP and won't help at all with your drag times. Also, keep in mind that you're going to have to machine the step correctly on the flywheel (even on the stocker) so there may be some additional costs... Personally, I don't believe in buying anything that you know you can't pay for but that's just me. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know it'll bump me out of STS, that's one of the cons of getting the flywheel. i haven't decided if i even want one for sure yet, that's why i want opinions.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
TimeRacer said:
Just so that you know, the flywheel will bump you out of STS to DSP and won't help at all with your drag times.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't a lightened flywheel help in drag times?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
how about lightend flywheels for daily driving??? what does it do? anything i should watch out for??? advantages/disadvantages?

·
pretending to drive...
466 Posts
I have the Clutchmasters Flywheel (same as the Fidanza) with the ACT HD Pressure Plate/ Street Disco Combo and I think it's great. The car is not harder to drive everyday & I love the way it revs up. If anything, I have become a better driver b/c the revs drop faster between shifts, so I am forced to shift faster and do more things like rev matching.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
hustler904 said:
whats sts and dsp mean?
I believe they're autocross classes...

J

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes they're autoXing classes. i wish i could just get the lightened flywheel and not tell anybody about it, stay in STS and everything will be all good. but im not shady like that...

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
wutangben said:
yes they're autoXing classes. i wish i could just get the lightened flywheel and not tell anybody about it, stay in STS and everything will be all good. but im not shady like that...
it's a good thing you don't :nono: cheaters never win:D

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
khilgers said:

it's a good thing you don't :nono: cheaters never win:D
That's not necessarily true--what about sleepers? They destroy w/ deceit all of the time...and what about people who race on the bottle, and don't tell about it? It's not like a turbo/supercharger that you can hear spooling up & blowing off...

About autocrossing, how could anybody tell that you had the light flywheel?

J

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
so whats a good flywheel to get with a Exedy Organic clutch?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i may as well just post more of my quesitons in here.

1. I am somewhat stuck between spending $330 on an ACT HDSS and $220 on an Exedy Organic. After doing a search and reading a bunch of posts, I have come to a few conclusions. 99% of everyone with Exedy clutches speak very highly of them and recommend them. They have close to stock feel and seem to be able to hold a good amount of power. On the other hand, everyone with ACT clutches have good things to say, some people said that they went from ACT to Exedy and liked the Exedy better, but they were switching from an ACT 6puck disc, or an unsprung disc, which of course isn't going to feel as good as the Exedy organic. Some people say if you want more grabbing power, go with the ACT. Well I definately want the clutch to grab, especially while I am spraying nitrous. I think the ACT might be the better choice, just because I actually am going to be spraying on it. (if i weren't, i'd go exedy) Both ACT and Exedy are very good names, obviously ACT is a big leader in the clutch industry, and Exedy makes honda oem clutches.

2. I know that if I want to get a lightened flywheel, now is the time to do so. The question isn't, "should i get the lightened flywheel now, or should i get it later?" it's "do i really want a lightened flywheel?". I really don't want to be bumped out of my class in autoXing. If I move from STS (which I have about 15 trophies in since last season) to DSP I am going to be running against cars that are running on race tires, and I can't/nor will be able to afford race tires and another set of rims for a long time. I can't even afford a clutch right now, I am just using the fact that it is practically dead as an excuse to throw one on my credit card. If i'm spending $750 on a clutch and flywheel, hell I could just spend $100 on an Exedy OEM clutch and the other $650 on a body kit and paint.

3. Which is the best flywheel to get, and where do I buy it?

peace

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
If it were me, especially since you're doing the work, I'd go with an OEM clutch and stock flywheel. This is unless you plan on upping the HP a high amount. With this setup it should last you at least another 50-70k miles and give you plenty of time to build up the funds to replace everything with high perf parts later down the road if you still want to. Since to tell the truth, unless you're doing a lot of drag racing, there's no real reason to get an upgraded clutch w/o a lot of internal work which STS doesn't allow.

But if you do go though with everything get the Exedy and a Fidanza or a CM flywheel (which ever is cheaper, they're the same unit). You should be able to get out under $550 for all the parts, fluids and gaskets required for the change out.

As for checking the flywheel it's damn easy to check. Take another Prelude rev it and watch and listen to the engine then compare against the other one. It'll be very easy to tell which one has the lightened flywheel esp with the 10 lbs difference between the two units.

·
old dog w/new tricks
1,586 Posts
Save some $$ and get the Exedy organic, it will hold up to 300hp, no need for more overkill than that. How about having the stock fly lightened slightly? Cheaper alternative you should be happy with.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Resurficing the stock lightwheel is not a great idea i dont suggest it, dont try in go the cheap route wont get ya anywhere but further troubles down the road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts