Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other major diffrences between the american Prelude SH and the Japanese Prelude Type S besides the +20hp (220HP)? And just so im clear, the number on the block for JDM is h22a andthe USDM is h22a1 correct?

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,158 Posts
Actually, one of the main things that separates the two is the "Active ABS" that the Type-S has, and ONLY the Type-S has it.

The performance difference between the two is menial. ~18 hp at the crank, nonetheless, doesn't add much of anything at all. Something, but not a lot. There is actually a good chance that the special ABS has more effect on performance than the extra HP.

Everything else about the car that is different is simply aesthetic(which means more than the performance factor to some).

Kraser isn't special because he only owns an S-Spec, not a Type-S. Two quite different things.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Type S owns the SH hands down :laugh: . Yeah eat that SH owners! :laugh:
ouch - :cry:

Actually, one of the main things that separates the two is the "Active ABS" that the Type-S has, and ONLY the Type-S has it.

The performance difference between the two is menial. ~18 hp at the crank, nonetheless, doesn't add much of anything at all. Something, but not a lot. There is actually a good chance that the special ABS has more effect on performance than the extra HP.

Everything else about the car that is different is simply aesthetic(which means more than the performance factor to some).

Kraser isn't special because he only owns an S-Spec, not a Type-S. Two quite different things.
haha take that bud :malken:

Love my SH :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
well for one the intake manifold is different, for two the type s has a different degree cam, and thirdly, the sh is an h22a4 and the type s can be a h22a8 or h22a6 depending on what country it was sold in(kraser what is the engine code on your kiwiw type s).
All Type S engines are H22As (no 5th character).

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'll take a stab at this to see if I've retained anything from reading on here for a while.

Here is what the Type S has that the Type SH does not have:

larger exhaust from collector to muffler (2mm larger?)
different intake system (dynamic chamber maybe gives it a HP or two over type SH)
Cylinder head is hand-ported by the factory
Intake manifold slightly different
Compression is raised (to 10.6:1?)
camshafts are slightly more aggressive

Also, as for the cosmetics, the Type S was the only prelude, along with the lowest of the low prelude Xi, that didn't have a sunroof. This was for weight reduction.

And yes, the active ABS was also something the Type S had that nobody else had.

Oh, and I guess you can't forget about the interior had the nifty leatherette and suede seats, but you could get them on the SIR's too?

And KaserK's car is actually superior to an SH, he has a LSD in his transmission and still has 220hp, ours doesn't.

·
3,158 Posts
Compression is raised (to 10.6:1?)
Compression is 10.6:1 in all Japanese H22a's with ~200 hp. However, the Type-S and S-Spec motors have a 11:1 comp ratio, actually.

Also, as for the cosmetics, the Type S was the only prelude, along with the lowest of the low prelude Xi, that didn't have a sunroof. This was for weight reduction.

Not true at all. Every single "Si", "SiR", or "SiR S-Spec" 5th gen Prelude sold in Japan had the sun roof as an option. The main part you got right though, that the ONLY prelude you COULD NOT order a sun roof with was the Type-S(except maybe the Xi, also,). Every other prelude you could order the sunroof on. HOWEVER, it was not standard equipment on any of the preludes you could get it on.

Oh, and I guess you can't forget about the interior had the nifty leatherette and suede seats, but you could get them on the SIR's too?
Once again, the Seats in the Type-S were the same as the seats in the S-Spec, only they had red stitching in the Type-S, rather than black or gray in the S-Spec. You could have partially leather, or fully leather seats with any the Si and SiR models, but they were nothing like the S-Spec or Type-S seats(which were unique all in themselves)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey you guys i have a 98 prelude SH and my motor went out on me. I've tried to buy another but i just cant find one and I've been looking for 4 months already. i was thinking of adding a Type S motor instead but i'm not sure it would work properly with the SH transmission. any advice???:bigthumb::dumb:

·
Registered
517 Posts
The BB8 is a base model with 4WS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey you guys i have a 98 prelude SH and my motor went out on me. I've tried to buy another but i just cant find one and I've been looking for 4 months already. i was thinking of adding a Type S motor instead but i'm not sure it would work properly with the SH transmission. any advice???:bigthumb::dumb:
were you ever able to find an answer to your question? I’m years late but I am currently doing this same swap into my 1998 prelude type sh and hoping it will work with the atts and m2u4 transmission that I have

·
3,158 Posts
Yes, the block design should be the same as an american SH block.
As with most Jdm to USDM swaps you'll simply put the USDM wiring harness on the JDM engine(which means you'll have to conduct typical swap mods) and they should work fine. However the USDM SH ecu may not be tuned the same way the JDM Type S unit is, not sure of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts