Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been beat to death, but I am new to the site. Looking to lower my 2000 SH, the right way. Ive heard SH's have to be done different. Any input on the best way to do it? Thanks

·
Warning: User Senile
2,585 Posts
Do everything.
Don't do just struts or springs, do a combo setup for a BASE or get a fully adjustable setup, or piece parts together for a BASE. If you do just springs, use sh specific springs. If you do struts and springs, do what I said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do everything.
Don't do just struts or springs, do a combo setup for a BASE or get a fully adjustable setup, or piece parts together for a BASE. If you do just springs, use sh specific springs. If you do struts and springs, do what I said.
I know nothing about suspension. Here to learn. What is a combo setup? Is there a fully adjustable set up SH specific?

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
Upgrade both shocks AND springs at one time.

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
North Texas. Some but not much, I have a silverado as well. Would keep prelude in garage in the snow.
Since you've got alternate transportation for bad weather, I'd consider a more standard non-height adjustable setup.

I used Koni Yellows w/ H&R sports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi.. i have the same question and i was going to start a new thread and then i find another person with same question.... and my situation is a little different than "thisguy" cuz i dont have another car to drive in snow... i live in boston and get pretty good amount of snow... i didnt drive it at all in the snow this yr but i might have to in future so i want to get coilovers.... i also want to du it the right way so my car doesnt eat tires.... Helpppp....

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
Since you've got alternate transportation for bad weather, I'd consider a more standard non-height adjustable setup.

I used Koni Yellows w/ H&R sports.
What does weather have to do with anything?
I've been plowing through snow for years without having to adjust height.

If anything, since he won't have to deal with salt, I would suggest going with a height adjustable setup.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
Hi.. i have the same question and i was going to start a new thread and then i find another person with same question.... and my situation is a little different than "thisguy" cuz i dont have another car to drive in snow... i live in boston and get pretty good amount of snow... i didnt drive it at all in the snow this yr but i might have to in future so i want to get coilovers.... i also want to du it the right way so my car doesnt eat tires.... Helpppp....
Then don't modify the suspension if you are worried about driving in the snow. Some of the potholes that pop up are really nasty. :stick:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Then don't modify the suspension if you are worried about driving in the snow. Some of the potholes that pop up are really nasty. :stick:
thats y i wanna put coilovers.... am sure there are guys here lowered their SH in the right way... so am askin for their help in choosin a nice set.....

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
thats y i wanna put coilovers.... am sure there are guys here lowered their SH in the right way... so am askin for their help in choosin a nice set.....
It'll come down to the following:
1. budget
2. what you expect and want

You might also want to include installation, setup (if adjustable), and alignment fees into your budget.

Keep in mind that with a setup like Koni/Ground Control, you do not necessarily have to lower much at all. I had mine for a few years running barely lower than stock. Also, with height adjustability, you might think you'll move it up/down often but in reality, once you get it set you'll likely not adjust much at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It'll come down to the following:
1. budget
2. what you expect and want

You might also want to include installation, setup (if adjustable), and alignment fees into your budget.

Keep in mind that with a setup like Koni/Ground Control, you do not necessarily have to lower much at all. I had mine for a few years running barely lower than stock. Also, with height adjustability, you might think you'll move it up/down often but in reality, once you get it set you'll likely not adjust much at all.
thanks for the help guys...
budget - 500ish
i heard struts and springs are cheaper than coilovers so i might get those even tho i was gonna get coilover at first....
i work at a dealership (VW) so i can ask one of the tech to install and du me an alignment so that shouldnt be a problem...

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
Luckily (or unfortunate, your call), there aren't a zillion options out there so you wouldn't have too much trouble finding info on whatever you decide. Just search around for old threads that mention all types of different combos. You'll see soon enough and know what you'll want.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
thanks for the help guys...
budget - 500ish
i heard struts and springs are cheaper than coilovers so i might get those even tho i was gonna get coilover at first....
i work at a dealership (VW) so i can ask one of the tech to install and du me an alignment so that shouldnt be a problem...
Koni/GC is going to be more than $500. However, KYB AGX/GC is almost doable for that budget. And that just so happens to be my setup. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Koni/GC is going to be more than $500. However, KYB AGX/GC is almost doable for that budget. And that just so happens to be my setup. :)
Kronn- The KYB AGX comes with shocks and struts? You keep stock springs? Also, on the website, it only lists base models. They work on SH's? Apparently so if your running them. I just know nothing about suspension. Thanks for the help. ??

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Kronn- The KYB AGX comes with shocks and struts? You keep stock springs? Also, on the website, it only lists base models. They work on SH's? Apparently so if your running them. I just know nothing about suspension. Thanks for the help. ??

KYB AGX are 4-way adjustable gas struts. Instead of lowering springs, I'm using Ground Control Coilovers because I too like being able to change my ride height.

Like previously stated. Struts made for the base model Prelude will fit the SH, as long as you replace the springs at the same time. You can also get sleeve-type coilovers like Ground Control to mate with the struts. However, you will want to check the GC website to make sure the struts you pick are usable with them. KYB AGX & Koni are already approved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts