Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of threads about Headers..but I couldn't find any conclusions. I know Mfg, Hytech, SMSP, RMF, Bisi are supposedly the top of the line Headers for the H22A. I went into my tuning shop and asked about the RMF Header. He told me those were only for track cars because they are too loud for the street. So I asked him which Header was good and he said DC. I told them I had heard DC did not add much HP and his response was "I sell them all day" hehe.

I have been reading that Vibrant seems to be a good choice. I asked the tuning guy about Vibrant and he said it was a good choice too....but I am really not sure.

This is mostly curiosity as I will not be getting a Header any time soon, but I really want to know what's up.

I am looking for the best HP gains for a Daily Driver. This is a fantasy right now so money isn't an issue..I don't want the car to sound too insane though because my gf is in the passenger seat a lot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
There are certainly a lot of choices out there for you.

If your looking for the top of the line header, just know it will come with a top of the line price tag. As of now, Bisimoto has the best header out there for our h22's. They just released a new design for 2012 that allows you to keep your power steering and air conditioning.

H22-series, F20B V2, stainless steel, ceramic coated. - $999.00 : Bisimoto Engineering, Where Efficiency Meets Technological Perfection

The thing with buying a header that a lot of new people don't understand is that any header that will add ANY horsepower gain has a 2.5" collector (the part that connects to your exhaust), so you will need a 2.5" piping exhaust or larger to actually see any gains.

Throwing a bisimoto header on a prelude with a stock exhaust isn't only a waste of money, it may actually yield a horsepower loss due to the bottleneck of exhaust gases going from a 2.5" collector on the header to your stock exhaust piping which is 2".

If you end up on a tighter budget than a $900 header, go with the Hytech Replica header. There is a groupbuy on preludepower.com

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
So I asked him which Header was good and he said DC.
Never ask that guy for advice again. Ever. Seriously.

DC and Megan Racing headers are basically the same thing a stock, but crappier quality. Don't waste your money.

The Hytech and SMSP headers aren't really an option anymore since they haven't been produced in quite awhile. They are next to impossible to find. The Hytech replica may be the best "bang for your buck" but it isn't without it's own issues. On the plus side, it's cheap though. The Bisi header looks cool, but until they do some legit dyno pulls with it (which they have thus far failed to do), nobody knows how it stacks up. RMF never seemed to live up to the cost. It performs OK, but it costs as much as the higher end headers that produce better gains. I'd put it in the same category as the Mugen header, which is also very expensive but produces only slight power gains.

Of the currently available headers, I think the Vibrant may be the best option. It's not stupid expensive and has been shown to perform at least as well as the more expensive options on a dyno. It is more or less a knockoff of the SMSP design. It appears to be good quality, and it looks like it fits better than the Hytech replica. If I was going to buy a header today, the Vibrant would be the one I would get.

Now as far as which is loudest, and the RMF "being for track use because it's too loud." That's crap. One header may produce a slightly different exhaust tone and slightly more or less volume than another, but it's not going to be a huge difference. The rest of your exhaust components (cat, resonator, muffler) have a much greater influence on how loud your exhaust will be than your header does.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If you want something that will fit with no modifications and bolt to the OEM catalytic converter vibrant would be the only way to go. Any other large header's either wont fit with stock accessories or wont bolt to a cat.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you want something that will fit with no modifications and bolt to the OEM catalytic converter vibrant would be the only way to go. Any other large header's either wont fit with stock accessories or wont bolt to a cat.
Who said anything about keeping the stock cat? If you do that, buying any header is a complete waste.

The vibrant is not a straight bolt on anyway. None of them are. I don't see why you'd think you can't use a cat with the other headers. They all require some modification. Even the Vibrant is a universal H series header, it won't bolt right up to a cat either. I know plenty of people are running the Hytech replica with a cat. There's no reason a cat couldn't be used with any header.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought the car it came with a cheap ebay CAI and some kind of old APEXi 3" full catback exhaust that resembles the N1, but not sure..it was put on the car in 1998...

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
If you base anything on a Del Slow YouTube video, you're ****ing nuts.

As Indy stated, the Bisi has never been proven legitimately, so there's no way for That 01 BB6 to back up his unenlightened claim that it's the best at anything.

The Vibrant shows smaller gains and a higher price tag than the HyTech Replica (FYI, HyTech still makes headers at ~$1200 a pop + S/H).

DC Sports and Megan are most definitely worthless.

A performance header will actually reduce your exhaust volume. The exhaust gases are moving more slowly due to the bigger primaries, secondaries, and collector.

The replica has fitment and ground clearance issues that are easily cured. There's absolutely no economical way to justify purchasing a different header for more money only to get the same or lower amount of increased power than it provides. The replica is also the cheapest on the market. It wins hands down as "best bang for your buck".

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That 01 BB6 said:
If you end up on a tighter budget than a $900 header, go with the Hytech Replica header. There is a groupbuy on preludepower.com
I dont like idea of replikas.... they break more easily and had those other issues

Of the currently available headers, I think the Vibrant may be the best option. It's not stupid expensive and has been shown to perform at least as well as the more expensive options on a dyno. It is more or less a knockoff of the SMSP design. It appears to be good quality, and it looks like it fits better than the Hytech replica. If I was going to buy a header today, the Vibrant would be the one I would get.
I got that vibrant...
yeah, it fitted perfect, even with bigger aluminium radiator! ground clearance is good and it does reduce sound LITTLE BIT

good product. but then again if you count all the taxes and customs I would had get custom one made with same price, nice to live here in scandinavia.

you can ask some reputable exhaust shop to make you custom one also...

get the facts right. vibrant is made universal for every h22's swaps included
so it needs some extension pipe because its collector is made short that it will fit to any h22 swap car

·
Registered
497 Posts
Most all power gained is simply from getting rid of the very heavy stock header... lol.

It's crazy how people will debate and spend on such minute differences..

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you base anything on a Del Slow YouTube video, you're ****ing nuts.
It really doesn't matter if it's a del sol, civic, or your very own prelude kronn. It matters what engine is starring you in the face throughout that whole video, an h22. The fact it is a Del Sol has no effect on the performance gains shown after the swap from DC tri-y to the Bisimoto header.

The Del Sol had an h22 before the test
The Del Sol had an h22 after the test

Honestly, just visit Bisi's facebook or website and realize he has set a bunch of records in the race community. He is legit and his claims are too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol if you guys think Bisimoto is wasting his day posting videos of fake number claims your smoking some good stuff.

Anywho, I'll be buying a Bisi model in a couple months so I will post videos of the before and after dyno.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree with you on that, but the fact remains that the bisi header will gain you close to 20whp over a 2.5" tri-y.

I don't see how this is a big shocker to anyone. Bisimoto has been killing it lately, he is on the leading edge of mixing science with going fast. Just look at his design, it is a page taken right out of formula 1 racing. Combining that with an inside out ceramic coating and BAM, MORE WHP than your Hytech Rep's and Vibrant's.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
^
no matter what, if I had to do this header-thing again I would go with custom made one, made for your engine and for your mods

but since I have this vibrant, no point of changing anything

1 - 20 of 110 Posts