Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: IT DIDNT WORK. GOT A COMM ERROR>
ORIGINAL POST: I'm still looking for your recommendations a scan tool that will read my OBD2 1997 P5P-003 JDM ECU & H22A swap.

I've spent 2 days searching the web and confirming with scan tool vendors. So far out of maybe 15 of them, I have NOT been able to confirm any actually works on this ECU. The OBDMATE 500 might work, but I've not gotten any confirmation. Having problem losing RPMs going uphill. SOMEBODY MUST know of a scan tool that they can confirm works on this JDM OBD2 16 pin port.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still looking for your recommendations a scan tool that will read my OBD2 1997 P5P-003 JDM ECU & H22A swap.

I've spent 2 days searching the web and confirming with scan tool vendors. So far out of maybe 15 of them, I have NOT been able to confirm any actually works on this ECU. The OBDMATE 500 might work, but I've not gotten any confirmation. Having problem losing RPMs going uphill. SOMEBODY MUST know of a scan tool that they can confirm works on this JDM OBD2 16 pin port.

Thanks!
Hey man, so I've heard that OBD2 is different across countries. The three main types I've seen is the OBD2, JOBD2, and EOBD2 types. Therefore, JDM ECU's take JOBD2 compatible scanners. I've linked a scan tool that is compatible with JOBD2 below. It's a sixteen pin like you said. I can't guarantee anything, but this scan tool seems to be your best bet at figuring out that RPM loss issue. Here it is:

Good luck bro, and keep me posted if you decide to try out the scanner!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, so I've heard that OBD2 is different across countries. The three main types I've seen is the OBD2, JOBD2, and EOBD2 types. Therefore, JDM ECU's take JOBD2 compatible scanners. I've linked a scan tool that is compatible with JOBD2 below. It's a sixteen pin like you said. I can't guarantee anything, but this scan tool seems to be your best bet at figuring out that RPM loss issue. Here it is:

Good luck bro, and keep me posted if you decide to try out the scanner!

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion.

To start with I've ordered a OSCBD model OS601 Scan tool that says it works with OBDII using ISO 9141. This is a three or four wire hookup and supposedly works on the 16 PIN OBDII in my 97 Prelude. I will report back on this do others can benefit. I have to open up my ECU (5P5) and check to see if this has been chipped. The reason I'm suspecting that is two very competent mechanics using $$$$ scan tools could not read this at the 16 pin or the three pin connection. Also, I could not get it to report out by blinking the CEL by shorting the two correct pins on the 3 pin.

SOMEBODY OUT THERE has had to have this experience in the wide world of Honda!

Currently looking for a knowledgable person in the BALTIMORE area to assist with this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey. Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion.

To start with I've ordered a OSCBD model OS601 Scan tool that says it works with OBDII using ISO 9141. This is a three or four wire hookup and supposedly works on the 16 PIN OBDII in my 97 Prelude. I will report back on this do others can benefit. I have to open up my ECU (5P5) and check to see if this has been chipped. The reason I'm suspecting that is two very competent mechanics using $$$$ scan tools could not read this at the 16 pin or the three pin connection. Also, I could not get it to report out by blinking the CEL by shorting the two correct pins on the 3 pin.

SOMEBODY OUT THERE has had to have this experience in the wide world of Honda!

Currently looking for a knowledgable person in the BALTIMORE area to assist with this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.
Have you asked around Honda Tech and other forums? I'm sure B series guys have had similar dilemmas. Good luck man

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll post this again on Honda Tech site.
SCAN RESULTS: It didn't work; it powered up, but would not communicate with the ECU in any mode including the ISO 9141. I'm suspecting wiring mods (I can see some). I examined the P5P 003 ECU. No interior mods (its OBDII) but some wiring changes in harness. BTW the security has been bypassed, so not sure if this affects anything else in the ability to communicate with the OBDII 16 pin port. It also will not give DTCs by flashing the CEL/MIL light when triggered at the 2 pin connector.

When purchased by me it had a H22A4 with the P5P ECU. Ran fine. Swapped to H22A, works fine flat driving, limited RPM under load (e.g. going up hill).

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds challenging to find the right scanner. My buddy is looking at a project 1995 Civic project with probably an H22 from a prelude. That's to be confirmed when we take a closer look at it after we finished installing the suspension and mud terrain tires on the Wrangler and clear the garage. Hope you'll find the right scanner and share here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts