Honda Prelude Online banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got a bunch more stuff done today. Thermostat housing and oil cooler installed...

New OEM in-line fuel filter...

New exhaust manifold studs...

Painted some more engine mounts and starter...

Started putting covers back on the engine. The lower cover, however, is missing the gasket so I had to order that. Should have it in a few days. Also ordered a new o-ring for the oil dipstick.

Decided to go ahead and throw my vanity plates on since the engine will be going in soon and hopefully shortly thereafter I will be breaking it in!

Hope to get back out there sometime tomorrow to get the tranny and ATTS attached in preparation for installation back into the car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So I was test fitting my Frankenstein oil relocation kit that I ordered in parts on Summit Racing's website, and the first one that I got was too deep on the middle spindle and it bottomed out before making a seal... So I ordered another one, it's a universal fit, and when I first got it I thought it might be too small...

Here they are side by side, the bigger one is the old one... The new one wasn't as deep in the middle so I figured it would work as long as it wasn't too small of a diameter...

Just to give you an idea of the size difference, I placed the o-ring from the old one onto the new one, and as you can see it's just slightly larger...

Took it over to the shop with me last night to try it on and it fit perfectly! Whew...

Still waiting on a stupid gasket for the lower engine cover on the crank side, then this puppy is going back into the engine bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Got my transfer bar back from the machine shop this morning, it looks pretty good. Should work, I hope!

Also picked up my Neuspeed strut bar from the powder coating place. Looks great. I didn't like those stupid yellow stickers anyway, plus it had a little rust in one spot. They blasted all that stuff off and now you can't even tell.

Should get my parts in today hopefully so we can move forward with the build!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I feel like I got some stuff done today... Side cover back on...

Power steering, alternator and A/C compressor mounts installed...

Flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate reinstalled...

Tranny hooked back up... Starter installed...

Can't wait to get the engine installed... Took this picture of my baby as I was leaving...

I also finally found someone willing to do my tune with the FIC. No one wants to mess with piggyback stuff, so it was extremely difficult to even get a shop to entertain the idea... Looks like I'll be trailering her up to Crucial Performance in Columbus when I finish breaking her in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Got some more stuff done tonight... Installed the transfer bar back into the jackshaft on my JRSC kit... Threw the MVM stepper pulley on there too...

Got the ATTS installed on the back of the engine and attached to tranny...

Took off the hood in preparation for putting the engine back in...

Got the engine mostly installed. 3 of the 4 mounts hooked up. Was getting kind of late, had to call it a night. Going to finish it up on Sunday most likely.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Two things I wanted to tell you about... First, let me know if you can install the supercharger pulley plate (the one with all of the idler pulleys) with the OEM plastic upper cover still on. I've been running without mine for years because I believe mounting holes are covered up.

Second, if you can delay your build even more, I'd advise you to get your alternator bracket powdercoated. I also painted mine back in 2013 and when I took it off in 2016, I noticed that a lot of my paint had chipped off and corrosion was coming through the surface. In short, even enamel paint didn't hold up. But I think powdercoating would. And at this point, I think that it would be a good long-term investment. As for the P.S. bracket, I think it's aluminum, so you won't have to worry about it corroding even if the paint does flake off.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It's getting close! I just got my timing belt on last night. But I'm realizing that Honda Bob had incorrectly installed my Auto-to-Manual H23 tensioner back in 2008. Basically I've been running with a loose belt all these years. Time to get that resolved!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Two things I wanted to tell you about... First, let me know if you can install the supercharger pulley plate (the one with all of the idler pulleys) with the OEM plastic upper cover still on. I've been running without mine for years because I believe mounting holes are covered up.

Second, if you can delay your build even more, I'd advise you to get your alternator bracket powdercoated. I also painted mine back in 2013 and when I took it off in 2016, I noticed that a lot of my paint had chipped off and corrosion was coming through the surface. In short, even enamel paint didn't hold up. But I think powdercoating would. And at this point, I think that it would be a good long-term investment. As for the P.S. bracket, I think it's aluminum, so you won't have to worry about it corroding even if the paint does flake off.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It's getting close! I just got my timing belt on last night. But I'm realizing that Honda Bob had incorrectly installed my Auto-to-Manual H23 tensioner back in 2008. Basically I've been running with a loose belt all these years. Time to get that resolved!
I'm basically tapped out on money which is why I painted it. I figured you wouldn't really see it that much. I'm guessing that's something I can do later if it comes down to it.

I'm trying to think how that pulley bracket attaches, I think it just goes to the alternator spacer, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the cover on there. I mean, it was intended to be a bolt-on kit for a stock engine so it should work... Doesn't necessarily mean it will I guess...

I have the KSTuned manual tensioner, seems pretty nice, and a lot less hassle than the H23 conversion. I want to say I paid like $125 for it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Pretty big update today...

Got all the engine mounts hooked up.

Header installed...

Replaced my hideous old axles with some new ones...

JTC Customs cooling plate installed (after some slight modifications...)

So, the stock SH radiator has a separate cooling core for the ATTS. However I want to install an aftermarket Mishimoto radiator. Figured out it doesn't have the cooling capability for the ATTS so I installed a custom cooler for it. It will be sandwiched between the A/C condenser and the Mishimoto radiator...

Here's a shot of the engine bay with the wiring harness mostly installed.

Will be working on intake, oil filter relocator and brakes tomorrow... Wheeeee!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I couldn't install my supercharger with the head on, so I actually had to remove the head, remove the ARP head studs, install the supercharger onto the head, then install the whole thing on the block, while centering the head gasket. Then I began the process of putting all of the head studs in. Let me know if you're fortunate enough to not have to remove the head for the install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I couldn't install my supercharger with the head on, so I actually had to remove the head, remove the ARP head studs, install the supercharger onto the head, then install the whole thing on the block, while centering the head gasket. Then I began the process of putting all of the head studs in. Let me know if you're fortunate enough to not have to remove the head for the install.
Seriously? Are you running like an H23 head or something? Hope I don't have to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So we didn't get very far last night, we forgot to install the crank position sensor and top dead center sensor, oops. That took a bit to get it in there...

Also had a small fitment issue with the oil filter relocator, had to order a part for that... And we couldn't find the knock sensor from when we tore the block apart 7 months ago so I had to go get one of those at the local auto parts store. At least they had one in stock and it was cheaper than the OEM one. Hopefully it works.

Might be back out there tonight but I have a meeting I have to attend after work so maybe not. Either way we should be making some more progress this week...I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Made a little bit of progress today. Got the lower intake manifold installed.

Also installed the AEM fuel rail and RC 550cc injectors...

Oil filter relocator setup is finally complete...

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong fuel pressure regulator, not sure how... Going to try to return it and get the right one... :-(

More updates soon!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm not liking the look of that oil line with an adjustable clamp on it... granted you might not see oil pressures over 80psi, but I'm thinking that might not hold up. If it does, I think that it won't last long then.

While you wait on the fuel pressure regulator to come in, perhaps you should try to find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and get one made on that end. I think that it would be well worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'm not liking the look of that oil line with an adjustable clamp on it... granted you might not see oil pressures over 80psi, but I'm thinking that might not hold up. If it does, I think that it won't last long then.

While you wait on the fuel pressure regulator to come in, perhaps you should try to find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and get one made on that end. I think that it would be well worth the peace of mind.
You're right, it's definitely not ideal. I'm looking into other solutions. In the meantime, I did get her started up tonight for the first time since the rebuild. Just cranked her over for a second, cooling system isn't installed yet.

I'm an idiot and didn't realize the stock ECU won't work well with the aftermarket injectors, etc, so spent tonight putting the stock fuel system and intake back on. Going to break her in for 500 miles then put all the other crap + JRSC back on there... Here's a video of the first start up!

https://youtu.be/oKAddbFRfh4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Did some break-in driving on the rebuilt engine tonight. 150 non-highway miles down, 350 to go... A couple observations:

It's really tempting to leadfoot this thing, but so far I am resisting. I haven't taken it over 4k RPM but once to make sure the VTEC works... :) The thing runs like a champ, almost better than stock (points taken away for stiff engine mounts, but other than that it's golden).

It's still a fun car to drive like a grandma, naturally aspirated, but I am sure it will be a lot more fun with the supercharger.

Can't wait to slap the JRSC on this puppy and get it up to the tuner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
412 miles on the rebuilt motor now, should have it finished breaking in tomorrow... Put on new rotors and Hawk HPS pads today, also painted the calipers...

Also went ahead and threw my Enkei RPF1's on. Unfortunately my Honda center caps don't fit (I thought they would!). So I'll need to find some non-stupid looking center caps...

I've also got a slight oil leak, I think it's one of the AN fittings on the oil filter relocation kit. Will be exploring that soon, getting some different thread sealant...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Finally got some stuff done tonight, last couple days I have been fighting with a leaky fitting on my oil filter relocation kit, then after I got that fixed, we installed the injectors and AEM fuel rail and the dang fuel rail was leaking. Messed with that all day yesterday, got it fixed finally today.

Actually started putting the supercharger on tonight, it's definitely coming along... We hope to have it finished up tomorrow night and then get it over to the tuner. Here are some action shots...

[

It got late so had to call it a night. Back at it tomorrow!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts