Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting on the highway tonight, running my car pretty hard, runnin every gear out, I go to shift to fourth and misshift to 2nd. The v-afc rpms peak hold was 9844. I qickly held i the clutch and up shifted to 5th and kept going on the highway for probly about 5 miles, I go to exit on the off ramp and I hold the clutch in ad tke it outta gear and coast, then all a sudden I had no power steering. So I coast about 100ft to a turn that I need to make. and I look dow and the oil light and the batter lights on and the vafc says 0000 rpms, so I try to restart the engine and it wont fire. As soon as I press the gas in the engine starts, but I have to hol the idel up manual r it will stall. I get it all the way home and I pull up out front of my house and it souds ike total shyt. I think its missin. Can anyone tell me whats wrong, did I bend a valve, or maybe more???

The only good tha came outta this is that I know my car doesnt have a downshift rev. limiter now. God I wish I could of saw my fae when I looked down and saw 9844, the first thing that I thought is I need to tke a pic of this cause no ones gonna belive me that this engines still running after that. Well fooled me, sorry I didnt get a pic eather cause when the car stalled it reset the vafc too

Ohhh and I did flip the switch to the obd2 to 1 workaround too so itsbak to stock.

·
Zoom-Zoomin
1,461 Posts
If you had anything worse than a slightly bent valve than I don't think the engine would be running. I would check the cam timing. Make sure all the marks line up, and double check the cam TDC marks vs the ignition timing marks on the flywheel. See Vapor's post about the crank gear slipping or something and causing his motor to run like poop. Next I would check the plugs and the compression. Look for a low compression and look for fouled plugs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just got my motor back together from doing the same exact thing. I was down for a month! I would diff. say that you probably have a couple bent valves and check your timing belt, might be almost gone. Check the compression. Very surprised you got it to start again... You just "may" luck out. I was out $1,300 to have mine fixed. ------Good Luck---- ps. keep us posted

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
2PhastPrelude said:
I think its missin. Can anyone tell me whats wrong, did I bend a valve, or maybe more???
You probably bent a valve. You need to do a compression test and/or leakdown test to know for sure, though.

2PhastPrelude said:
The only good tha came outta this is that I know my car doesnt have a downshift rev. limiter now.
A rev limiter would not have helped you in this situation. A rev limiter limits the RPMs an engine can turn by cutting spark and/or fuel. Your overrev was done via a mechanical means (downshifting into a gear that was way too low for your land speed), so cutting spark and/or fuel would have done nothing to help the situation.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
damnit, billy always beats me. :(

^^ what he said. Your rev limiter probably WAS in effect, and cut fuel and spark.

start saving the nickels, you're going to need new valves, and their could be further damage if you got it to almost 10000 RPM.

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah do a leakdown test for sure. i had some MORONS at honda tell me the valves were bend so I had htem replaced only to find out a cracked some ringlands too. but clearly teh MORONS at honda didnt do a leakdown test so i had to tear the engine apart a second time to fix that.

mine was from detonation rather than overrev but still check it out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys I, just got home from wirk and told my dad about it who is a mech. he had me start it and it startsright up while the eniginesbeing ideled up, but as soon as the thermastat kicks the revs down it dies. He said truthfully I might of beent a valve but he wants to check the timming first and see if I didnt skip a few teeth on the belt, maybe I'll get lucky, if not I hop I can have i fixed before the nopi show :(

I'll let you all know how its comming and anything new I find thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just foundout today that is all covered, even if I srewed a valve up, I forgot that I bought a warranty when I bought the car in oct. of last yr. God am I glad for it, its gonna get a new timming belt forst and if that doesnt clear things up it gets the heads riped off.

hmmmmm springs and ret.???? I wonder if I should, maybe cams too lol

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Good luck finding a dealer to honor a warranty on a modified car......Ive never seen it happen yet....but since your pops is a mechanic have him do your labor, save some cash....

·
Registered
548 Posts
hey, good luck w/ it randy. if you don't get it fixed, you should still come to watch the drags! you can ride in my lude if u want =)

latez!

·
Banned
1,721 Posts
THIS HAPPENED TO ME THE OTHER DAY! i caught myself before the needle jumped to much..

I never worried about that happening. and IT happened right after my friend told me about it. jesus though.. :eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
good luck on getting warranty.... they denied me warranty and said i overrev'd it. its pretty rare they will cover bent valves because they just claim you overrev'd it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MadLuderX said:
hey, good luck w/ it randy. if you don't get it fixed, you should still come to watch the drags! you can ride in my lude if u want =)

latez!
I defentally be there, might have to take you up on that offer too. As for the warranty my dads shop covers that type, they got the ok to tear aprtthe motor today and see if they are and to rebuild so I might make it after all who knows. I'll keep you all informed

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well my dad did a diganostics test on my car today just to see what it would read, all it says is that #2 and #3 cycl. are missfiring, he checked the timing and said thats all good, and the engine is running to good to have a bent valve he said. Also he had a guy tell him today that it would take alot to bend a h22 valve. Keep in mind he desnt know how high I reved the engine when I did this, I just told him that I over reved it pretty bad, he knows over red line, he just told me he laughted at the guy nd it wen in one ear and out the other. Butto besure hes gonna check the ignition. MaybeI jolted something???

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im gonna say smething o my dad about it tommrow, what was your car doing after you did it, the same that I said mine was???

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yep crappy idle, misfire in cylinder 1 for me, was the code it threw. It had crappy idle and compression was real low in one cylinder. like 90.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll say something about that to him tommrrow, if thats the caseI might just get type S pistons or even get something aftermarket

1 - 20 of 51 Posts