Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven a 94 prelude V-TEC and I was driven away (no pun intended) by how much pull it had. Then I see that the S2000 has 55 more horsepower? Im just currious to the people that have driven both a 4th gen vtec and a S2000 and there opinions on the differences. Just currious being my next car will either be the new 240 horse accord coupe or a S2000. :D

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yes, the S2k has more power, but on the top end. The S2k is lacking in torque until it's VTEC powerband begins. SO, if you put on a comptech supercharger, you'd add more power, and add the torque that the S2k needs. I race one off the line, and, granted my stroke is much shorter and I only have an Si, I shifted at about 6500, and began to pull on him....UNTIL his VTEC kicked in...then he whooped my butt.

J

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
If the S2K knows how to launch, he will beat you everytime...

even if he cant launch well, you might take an S2K for a second... then when the S2K hits VTEC range, you wont have a chance. :D

(this is all stock vs. stock of course)

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
red92si said:

even if he cant launch well, you might take an S2K for a second... then when the S2K hits VTEC range, you wont have a chance. :D

I ran one at Fontana once...he seriously botched the launch. I was ahead of him until the 1/4 mile mark, where he BLEW by me. He only beat my by a hundreth of a second.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
red92si said:

I agree with you here on the stock v. stock part. I'm mildly modded, and this guy, from what I could see & hear, was stock. I had him for more than a second, and I don't think he knew what he was doing, launch-wise...my car's not all that in terms of speed, but it's still fun. Can't wait for the headswap & some cams, maybe.

J

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i would go with the s2k...even though it lacks in the low end torque needed to push a good rwd car, just look at it compared to the newer accords...i like the newer accords not more than a s2k

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Yeah, same here. I've driven a S2000 and a Vtec 4th Gen. The S2000 is quite a bit quicker. I think its lighter as well. Off the line its got better traction because its RWD and the weight transfer gives it good grip.

I don't think any stock Prelude or even one with I/E/H will beat a S2000. The S2k gives the impression that it could rev like there's no tomorrow and given enough forward gears it would just keep going and going. Reminds me of a Japanese superbike.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
not really a comparison IMO. the S2000 lacks the torque, but if they get a good launch, it's over no matter what. even w/ a bad launch, it'd be somewhat close, but there's no reason for a S2000 to lose :nono: it should kill you everytime! w/ a 3K VTEC range, it's hard to beat, even w/ a crappy launch

·
Registered
254 Posts
I raced a guy in an S2000 in my 94 VTEC. We had two races starting at ~65MPH, he won one and I won one... it depended on who hit the gas first to start since neither of us could pull on the other. (I know it sounds like BS but that's how it happened.)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
For those who pointed fingers, I didn't say that I raped this guy, or walked him...I just pulled on him through first, and once I shifted into second, he reeled me in. Hey, the S2K is my dream car, 'til I win the lottery...then it's GT2 time.

J

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
BoYgUaN said:
the s2ks are fast but you need a good driver
True, but then again, people say this all the time about the 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen races all the time.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts