1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.storm.ca/~gdike/P1010014.JPG
http://www.storm.ca/~gdike/P1010017.JPG
http://www.storm.ca/~gdike/P1010015.JPG

Sorry about the blurry pics, I was just so unhappy and depressed I ran inside and grabbed my digicam. Look at where it's rusting! And it's only a goddamn 1997!

I'm trying really hard not to fly off the handle here. I bought it used last year, no rust. Looked after it like you wouldn't believe, spent the time, spent the money and now this. I'm definately gonna sell it, but I'm just so frustrated right now I don't think I ever want to buy a nice car again. Freakin Honda. PISS ME OFF. Maybe I'll just buy friggin new next time, I dunno.

So frustrating. :mad:

·
I'm back!
1,161 Posts
You get snow over there and your roads are salted frequently right? That may be the main reason for your rust, it's not Honda. I livein Seattle and no rust problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Salt isn't a problem when it's stored for the winter.

That's not really the point though, it's not Honda I'm mad at per se (their checkered rust history notwithstanding).

I'm just upset and not sure what I want to do. Is it worth the coin to fix? I dunno. Who knows what will pop up next year. If I'm gonna drive a nice car, I'll have to get a NEW one (2000/2001) and store it. Only alternative. I DID store this one... but who knows what the previous owner did!

:(

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Ah yes, Ontario winters. I can't say I miss them having experienced five Ottawa winters. All cars in Ontario will rust with the amount of salt and fallout in the area. You hit the nail on the head when you remarked that you're not sure of its past (since it's a used car). It's VERY likely that the previous owner drove it year round... and the instant there is any exposed metal (rock chip, scrape, etc) it will rust. The rust you see didn't appear overnight.... it's had five Ontario winters to start. The sad thing is that once it's started, it's very difficult ($$) to get rid of. Have you removed the rubber trim that goes around the edge of the rear wheel wells? It slides off quite easily and you will probably find some rust there. Sorry to break the bad knews but it's probably reality. :(

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
face it winter sucks....i dont have rust but when i bought my lude...no scratches....now thru its first winter....got rock chips all over the front bumper and hood....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know it's $$$ to fix. That's why I don't think I'm even gonna start wasting my time but will instead sell this car in August and buy a new one in February or so. I just can't decide what I should do. I'd *love* to buy a 2001 Prelude and keep it off the goddamn road between November and May. At least if I buy a 2001 and it HAS been driven in the winter, I can correct that problem... :)

It'd be nice to buy a new one NOW, some dealers have a few new Ludes sitting around, but I can't really afford it now. Too bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm just did a search, a local dealer has a new 2001 still left and wants $28,800 canadian. I wonder how much he's willing to move on that price.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Konowl said:
Hmm just did a search, a local dealer has a new 2001 still left and wants $28,800 canadian. I wonder how much he's willing to move on that price.
Really? Is it an auto or a 5speed? Up until last fall there was a holding lot full of '01 SE here in YVR. All of them were autos but it was weird seeing a few rows of '01 Preludes beside '02 & '03 Accords, Civics, RSX, etc. were they are unloaded from the ships.

It's all about demand... although I find it hard to imagine paying list price for a car that's two years old. Prelude's are not limited production cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't pay list, however, I'm wondering what kind of deal I can get. Have to check it out tomorrow night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts