Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone ever has to do this you can run your car w/o the small belt on your jrsc kit. Mind you the car will run like ass but if the belt shreads or comes off like mine than you can run it for a short period of time. Now for the things I've noticed that will happen if this belt is not running.

1. Fuel consumtion is worse a lot worse
2. Vtec does not engage at all (stupid for even trying this)
:nono:
3. The car runs like a daewoo
4. Exhaust note is low
5. The car smells rich (not burning the extra fuel)
6. Going up hill you have to downshift to make it:laugh:
7. Trying to move the bracket to remove the belt is a [email protected]#$h,all most impossible.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that I noticed. Don't flame me on this I know it's silly to run the car w/o the belt but just figured I share this just in case it happens to you and you need the car to get back and forth to work. Love my kit:mad:
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
actually it should run fine until you go to wide open throttle. if you don't do that, it drives more or less like it would with the A/C on and a *REALLY* restrictive intake. fuel consumption if you drive it properly (gently) is not worse, it's much better.

the belt should be easy to remove in 5 minuets or less. check out iranman's page on modifying the tensionser plate if you can't get your belt off easily.

jjtec said:
Just in case anyone ever has to do this you can run your car w/o the small belt on your jrsc kit. Mind you the car will run like ass but if the belt shreads or comes off like mine than you can run it for a short period of time. Now for the things I've noticed that will happen if this belt is not running.

1. Fuel consumtion is worse a lot worse
2. Vtec does not engage at all (stupid for even trying this)
:nono:
3. The car runs like a daewoo
4. Exhaust note is low
5. The car smells rich (not burning the extra fuel)
6. Going up hill you have to downshift to make it:laugh:
7. Trying to move the bracket to remove the belt is a [email protected]#$h,all most impossible.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that I noticed. Don't flame me on this I know it's silly to run the car w/o the belt but just figured I share this just in case it happens to you and you need the car to get back and forth to work. Love my kit:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
how many times did you run your car like this.... because our preludes have an ecu adjusts itself everytime you run the car and then turn it off for 20 min.
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
for about 500 miles. the ecu will trim the fuel due to the reduced airflow through the bypass valve... but it's not as much as you think. the car really doesn't move all that much air under low load. i never went more than 60% throttle when driving it like this.

you don't have to turn the car off for the fuel trim to be stored. it's real time and constant.

kysmith said:
how many times did you run your car like this.... because our preludes have an ecu adjusts itself everytime you run the car and then turn it off for 20 min.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schwett, I took a look at that web site and downloaded all the info. I guess like many w/jrsc owners I came to find out that the tensioner bracket just does not slide out like you would think. Your right it should be 5 minutes but now it's going on two days. As far as running normal vtec doesn't even engage for some godly reason but I hope it works once the belt is back on. Let ya know if it does. Then I'll have to pick your brain on why it didn't:) Maybe I should just get an s2000 like someone we know and save the hassle:} (In my dreams)
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
dude, get off the gas!

all the air your car is breathing is going through a ± 1 1/4" diameter bypass valve. vtec might be engaging, but you sure wouldn't feel it!

i got lucky for once, my tensioner slides right out. :)

jjtec said:
Schwett, I took a look at that web site and downloaded all the info. I guess like many w/jrsc owners I came to find out that the tensioner bracket just does not slide out like you would think. Your right it should be 5 minutes but now it's going on two days. As far as running normal vtec doesn't even engage for some godly reason but I hope it works once the belt is back on. Let ya know if it does. Then I'll have to pick your brain on why it didn't:) Maybe I should just get an s2000 like someone we know and save the hassle:} (In my dreams)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried it twice that's all it's not like every chance I get I do it.:( Trust me it's not engaging at all and here's a post. How many can slide the tensioner out?:laugh: Also I wish I was getting lucky with thing (no jokes about this comment, please)at least on something. Let you know if I get it up and going-the laughs never stop with me:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it finally what a @#$%@. Here's my problem car still runs like crap. Anyone have ideas? I've already reset the computer. When I lightly get on throttle and the car starts to hesitates real badlike the power isn't there, didn't have this problem before. What would cause this? Help
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
need a bit more info...... but it sounds like it could be an ems problem. check the wiring very carefully. are you developing boost? do you have an fp gauge? a datalogger maybe?

jjtec said:
Got it finally what a @#$%@. Here's my problem car still runs like crap. Anyone have ideas? I've already reset the computer. When I lightly get on throttle and the car starts to hesitates real badlike the power isn't there, didn't have this problem before. What would cause this? Help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's got boost and I've started to check all the wires and so far everything looks hooked up. No fp guage until next week and no datalogger. The best way I can describe it is this, your cruise'in and start to give it more gas and the car hesitates and then picks up. I know this isn't really the best explanation but that's all I got. Jeez all I did was replace that little belt. Thanks for the fast post.
 

·
used to sell mix tapes
Joined
·
5,446 Posts
sounds like timing perhaps; but that could only be affected by the wiring at the ems. i can't imagine what the belt has to do with anything. check your vacuum lines in the vicinity....

jjtec said:
It's got boost and I've started to check all the wires and so far everything looks hooked up. No fp guage until next week and no datalogger. The best way I can describe it is this, your cruise'in and start to give it more gas and the car hesitates and then picks up. I know this isn't really the best explanation but that's all I got. Jeez all I did was replace that little belt. Thanks for the fast post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured out the problem there were two vacuum leaks plus a wire unhooked from the ems. Had to modify my tensioner to get it out and found a [email protected]#$ tool used for a corvette tune up, to get at that little bolt tucked under the charger. Now it's running just fine. Thanks for the help
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top