Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
www.ntpog.org
7,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok for you to rinse out the AEM intake filter with water? instead of getting a new one?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes there is a cleaning kit for the K&N filter. I think it's less than $10 so you might as well get it. I don't think that rinsing it out will have any harmful effects since you need the cleaner to remove the oil from the filter. But I really don't think you'll get it very clean by just rinsing it. The oil traps dirt and if you can't wash the oil away, you can't get the dirt off.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
K&N instructions suggest you remove dirt with water and then use their kit.

All their kit supplies is oil. You put the oil on after you have cleaned the filter and then dried it. MAKE SURE YOU DRY IT all the way. The oil just repels the dirt and water.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just cleaned out AEM this weekend. What a pain in the a$$. Anyhow, make sure you run water from the tap from the INSIDE of the filter otherwise you'll just pound the dirt into the filter. I shook it dry by hand till no water came out, then let it sit in the sun for 1/2 hour. Oiled it, put it back on, drove it 20 minutes later.
The kit comes with cleaner and oil.
Car actually felt a little smoother after I cleaned it. Just my imagination...

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
K&N instructions suggest you remove dirt with water and then use their kit.

All their kit supplies is oil. You put the oil on after you have cleaned the filter and then dried it. MAKE SURE YOU DRY IT all the way. The oil just repels the dirt and water.
</font>
That's not the case with my kit (came with cleaner and oil). I've tried to rinse the dirt off of my filter and the oil remains on the filter after I wash it, with the dirt. If you would like I can scan a pic of my cleaning instructions.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
dirt came off immediately when I rinsed it. you dont need to scan the instructions. I believe you. Sometimes a little common sense helpes too though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
That's not the case with my kit (came with cleaner and oil). I've tried to rinse the dirt off of my filter and the oil remains on the filter after I wash it, with the dirt. If you would like I can scan a pic of my cleaning instructions.

Gabe

</font>
You use the water to rinse off any loose dirt that hasn't come in contact with the oil...then you clean the oil part with the kit.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sometimes a little common sense helpes too though.</font>
Yeah your right but I'm a mechanical engineer so what do I know huh?

The actual cleaning kit comes with cleaner and oil. There is also a kit that only comes with oil. The instructions for the cleaning kit state that you can rinse and re-oil the filter if the filter is not too dirty.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
Yeah your right but I'm a mechanical engineer so what do I know huh?

The actual cleaning kit comes with cleaner and oil. There is also a kit that only comes with oil. The instructions for the cleaning kit state that you can rinse and re-oil the filter if the filter is not too dirty.

Gabe

</font>
I said to rinse the filter in my post above, same as you just did. So where did I go wrong? And what does being a mechanical engineer have to do with common sense? Absolutely nothing, and besides that, it doesn't impress me. But what do I know, I am currently attending college right now.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuDeGirL1004:
How often are you supposed to clean it?

</font>
i'd say anywhere from 30k to 50k miles... or when you see a lot of dirt on it.

i've had mine for 20k+ already, looks spotless. *shrugs*

·
Registered
800 Posts
I said to rinse the filter in my post above, same as you just did. So where did I go wrong? </font>
Did I say you did anything wrong? Absolutely not. You sad that I was incorrect about the cleaning kit for the K&N filter system. The K&N cleaning kit comes with cleaner
and oil, not just oil. I said that the instructions in the kit said you could substitute a rinse and a re-oiling for a cleaning if needed. Also you should know that you are not getting your element entirely clean if you only do this.

And do you think I really give two $hits if you're impressed by my work? Do you think give a crap that you are in college? I sure hope not cause I could care less. I wasn't flaming you so chill, you're the one who flamed me in the first place. Don't give me this crap about common sense. Most people who go into the engineering field are mechaincally inclined and therefore have a good feel of how things work. You're the one who implied I was lacking common sense.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

1 - 16 of 16 Posts