Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody tell me what anodized, cast, alloy, etc etc...im getting a set of rims and just want to get the best one out there..btw what do u think of the enkei rs 5?
for a 5th gen

·
Registered
412 Posts
i got 18" giovviona kuji for sale let me know if you are interesed and i am from nj also

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i like those but im gonna get 17's 'coz of the roads here in jersey..thanks though

·
Registered
662 Posts
Argument on weight vs. handling on 18inch
wheels:

I think they(18s) are great if you can get
light ones. Ofcourse, larger wheel with
a lower-profile tire will give you tighter
feeling when making a short-radius turns; you
will notice less roll. Your high-bank turns
will also improve as you will have better
higher-speed stability.
On the other hand, it's going to add pounds.
Pounds especially on the wheel.. Thingy that
your engine has to ultimately "rotate."
..meaning that it will eat your torque.
Infact more torque than slab of fat on your
ass (standing weight). There's been a theory
that every pound on wheel is equivlnt to
10lb of standing weight on your car. I
guess this may be pretty close to the truth but
I also think it has to do with WHERE that
added fat, i meant weight, is located at.
If it is incread weight on bolt plate, that'd
be much better than having same weight increase
closer to the tire grooves or rim.
BBS is known to do light weight design forging on plate and their TM'ed mesh design.
But who knows about the rim itself..
Spoon seems to have pretty good rims but..
they don't come in large sizes.
You have to really dig into japan-made japan-sold
market to find large yet light wheels.
Anyway, I think the equation is something
like this:

looks + looks - cost + handling - added weight

My suggestion is if you can find reasonable
tradeoff (light 18inch wheel), why not?

I'm trying to sell my 17lb 18inch wheel so
i can get Racing Senaka's 15lb 18inch wheel.
These are 18INCH wheels we are talkn' about, right?

KC

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Let em throw a question in here that I have in my quest for new/bigger/nicer rims. Our factory SH rims are approx 20lbs, and the tires are about the same from what I've seen posted. I REALLY like a particular set of 17's but there 22lbs..not to trim for a wheel but I do really like them. However here's my question right now I'm running Dunlop W10 225/45/16 on my factory wheels. I'm going to bet that these tires are at least 2 lbs heavier then the stockers. Now I have that added weight further out then anything. If I were to get the 17's that are 2 lbs heavier in the wheel but wound up with smaller tires (205/45/17) hopefully weighing in around 18-20 lbs wouldn't the difference be almost nil?

Oh one more thing before I forget..I've seen more then one person mention that the heavier rim is bad for off the line performance but once at speed they actually help maintain the speed. Is this true? I'd say I'd much rather keep that amazing pull from VTEC in 3rd gear then make up some in the 0-60 and lose it on the upper end.

Any help with these weight questions would be great.

------------------

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
What about my 18" TE-37s which I was told weigh in at about 17 lbs. Thats what, 2 lbs lighter than stock. And with the tires, the actuall total diameter of tire and wheel will be about he same as my stock 16s with stock RE92s. I wonder what the outcome will be.....

The LUDE is not a race car to begin with, so id rather have 18s.

------------------

(.Y.)
www.importheart.com
I got these Jammies.

[This message has been edited by 2kLuder (edited April 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
662 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
What about my 18" TE-37s which I was told weigh in at about 17 lbs. Thats what, 2 lbs lighter than stock. And with the tires, the actuall total diameter of tire and wheel will be about he same as my stock 16s with stock RE92s. I wonder what the outcome will be.....

The LUDE is not a race car to begin with, so id rather have 18s.
</font>
2Klude, despite of what some will tell ya
about increased weight, you'd come outta
hella better with lighter tire. Only
unknown is that 18inch tires may not be
significantly lighter. Sidewall on 18s have
more beads and thus per squrare inch, it's
heavier. But with less landspace (assuming
same width tires), who knows.

If you work for a tire shop, please scale
them and post. Thank you.

KC

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
jayz: I have a brand new set of 17"s for sale cheap. They are ADR DTM P-1s with Toyo Proxes FZ4 tires. I'll give them to you for $990 if you can come pick them up... Not sure where in Jersey you're from - but I'm in Philly. Drop me an email if interested...

See this page for more info and pics:
http://www.geocities.com/aklucsarits/WheelsAndTiresForSale.html

Andrew

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 18x7" Formula rims (TE-37 knock-offs) and they weigh 19.5lbs... which is a half a pound heavier than stock. I also have 215-35-18 Nitto NT-450's. I heard somewhere that there is this physics thing about rotational mass and how the engine has to use more energy to spin the wheels if the rim is larger diameter than stock (that's even if your stock and aftermarket rims have the same diameter from tire to tire). That's something to consider if true. I ran my car with 18's on the rear with stocks on the front and I SWEAR they slowed me down.

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
jay-z
where in jersey do you live that you are so worried about the roads. where i live the roads are decent and have never relly had to worry about them. plus the 18's look so much better then 17's on a lude.

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
Last week I weighed my stock rims.....they came out to like 40-41 lbs.
I weighed my TypeC5's with Yokohama Paradas 215/40/17.....they came out to ~45 lbs.
I don't drag race......I'm not sure I care about this added ~4 lbs to each wheel. Maybe in the future I will care but right now I don't. Initially I thought the TypeC5's would weigh a TON more but since that's not the case that's my reasoning for not caring AND being happy about how much they weigh.

I think with heavier wheels you will maintain more momentum. I think that's just physics.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Registered
412 Posts
i used to live in jc. i am up there alot during the summer.

------------------
for sale:18" giovviona kuji rims w/toyo t1-s 215-35-18

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Last week I weighed my stock rims.....they came out to like 40-41 lbs.
I weighed my TypeC5's with Yokohama Paradas 215/40/17.....they came out to ~45 lbs.
I don't drag race......I'm not sure I care about this added ~4 lbs to each wheel. Maybe in the future I will care but right now I don't. Initially I thought the TypeC5's would weigh a TON more but since that's not the case that's my reasoning for not caring AND being happy about how much they weigh.
</font>
I didn't care about the added weight when I had my 18" 5Zigen (they were about 45lbs per wheel/tire combo). But then since I auto-x alot, I went with smaller lightweight wheels. Now my 16" CP-035 weighs in about 32lbs per wheel/tire combo.

------------------
Vincent
98 TypeSH
99 GSR Sedan
CSCC SoloII #107 STS
Team Vision
AIM: vwong107

1 - 16 of 16 Posts