Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I thought maybe I had got lucky with my SS Automatic transmission...guess not. I had it serviced about a month ago for a ATF transmission fluid change at my local Honda dealership, and then about 2 weeks ago it starts making noise. I took it in to my local service station today and they tell me it is the transmission go to a transmission shop. So i do, and get quoted at $3300.00 for a transmission. I asked about a 5 speed manual transmission swap, and most shops have simply almost laughed at me and told me it would be way more to do than replace my automatic. I even had a guy refuse to do it because he said, "that would take a week or two and it would tie your car up on my lift for all that time in my garage bay."

Everyone has told me they can't do it. I need help. I'm in the north eastern ohio area.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Well, they are kinda right. It is expensive, and a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
170 Posts
does your auto tranny make somewhat of a grinding clacking noise.... like a baseball card in bike spokes?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, more like something is rolling around at the bottom of the transmission.

Today at the shop I was told it was a piece of something at the bottom of the tranny housing.
^ This wouldn't at all surprise me, as I have heard the SS tranny was made with very flimsy internal parts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for anyone else, some info about my driving habits with the car:

I recently had a flush and change of the ATF fluid at Park Honda in Akron.
I drove in AT mode about 85-90% of the time and SS mode the rest.
Majority of the time in SS mode, I never switched back to AT mode while I was on the fly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there was slipping from dead stops, or when I'd be at a light or a corner and then accelerated, it would slip.

It only made noise in Park and Neutral, and this lead me to believe it could be the torque converter going bad, but then recently it's been making weird noise going into Reverse, along with a harsh engagement into that gear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
well... if you tear it apart, look at your clutch packs. It may just be that your clutches are worn out.

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Where at in NE Ohio? I live in Willoughby. I have a 99 SS. My buddy Tim has an auto 4th Gen that he wants to put an H22 and a 5speed in. We could maybe help, if you have a place to do it and get the parts together. We could use the practice, LOL. And I'll work for beer. Haha Trust me, you don't want to fix or replace the Auto with another Auto. It will just **** out again. I'd call Hmotors and ask about the 5speed swap parts. And what kind of service did you have done? They may have killed your tranny. You are always only supposed to drain and fill a Honda, never flush. The flush takes all the little metal pieces that build up in the pan, and runs them under pressure through the whole tranny. And anybody who knows about auto trannies will tell you that a grain of sand, in the wrong place, can kill your transmission. Especially a sensitive SS trans. Anyway, lemme know where your at, and maybe I can help. I don't know everything, but I could lend a hand. I'm sure if you find a good write-up we could handle it. I put a B16 in my old 91 Civic pretty much by myself when I was 16.
And I know it is out of the way, but Slowmotion in Columbus will do a 5speed swap on a 5th gen. If you don't want to do it yourself, and can afford parts AND labor, that's at least one shop I know of that will do it. And they are good, and trustworthy. They know their stuff. They have done at least one, maybe two of the OHPOC members' cars 5 speed swaps. They love OHPOC. We usually go there every spring and have "dyno day" and stuff. I'm not sure if we are doing it this year...
Oh, also, you should sign up on Ohio Honda Prelude Owners Community

·
Registered
517 Posts
They may have killed your tranny. You are always only supposed to drain and fill a Honda, never flush. The flush takes all the little metal pieces that build up in the pan, and runs them under pressure through the whole tranny. And anybody who knows about auto trannies will tell you that a grain of sand, in the wrong place, can kill your transmission. Especially a sensitive SS trans.
Oh, also, you should sign up on Ohio Honda Prelude Owners Community
Well he did take it to the Honda dealer, so I am very sure that the dealer did a drain and fill and NOT a power flush.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That sucks...a local member on my prelude forum in cali can do it for $1000(parts included) x___x
I highly doubt that. Unless your using a used clutch, pressure plate, TOB. Parts alone should cost more than that. (or at least did for me)

If you've done an engine swap, you can do the transmission swap. its like changing a clutch. checkout my writeup and ask away for questions :D

RomPirate’s 5spd Swap Resource Thread - Preludepower.com

If only you guys were closer.. (Los Angeles here :( )

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Well he did take it to the Honda dealer, so I am very sure that the dealer did a drain and fill and NOT a power flush.
They will do a powerflush if you ask them to. They don't know any better. And if the OP didn't know any better, and was willing to pay for it, they won't say a word at the dealership because it is extra money in their pocket. I think the standard drain & fill tranny service is $90-something. The power flush is $150-ish. The dealerships don't know (or they don't care) that they aren't supposed to flush the AT's (especially ours) Trust me, they have the flushing machines at the dealership. I called for a price quote once, and they asked me if I wanted the basic service or the machine flush. Now nobody touches my car but me. I don't trust those guys any farther than I can throw them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, right now it's at a transmission shop. I should hear back from them, latest, Thursday. Right now I just want it back on the road. After reading a lot more on the subject of a 5 speed swap, I realize I have MUCH, MUCH, and did I stress, MUCH more to learn on the subject.

I'm about to turn 19 years old here end of next month, so I guess that entitles some growing up and facing the reality that I'm going to have to take the hit and just repair the auto for now. I was just lucky enough that it still drove as well as it did today on my way to the tranny shop.

I was just thinking about buying some tanabe GF210 springs, kyb agx's, and a camber kit...but that like the 5 speed swap will just have to wait. Summer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also:
Lude Acts, I was considering signing up for OHPOC today, actually. I really wanted to get into the local prelude community more and go to some events. Has the site been updated for this years events? Last time I was on that site, the events were dated a few years back.

BTW: As for the ATF transmission change. It was done at a Honda dealership local to me that goes by the name of Park Honda. They charged me $54.73 for it.

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Also:
Lude Acts, I was considering signing up for OHPOC today, actually. I really wanted to get into the local prelude community more and go to some events. Has the site been updated for this years events? Last time I was on that site, the events were dated a few years back.

BTW: As for the ATF transmission change. It was done at a Honda dealership local to me that goes by the name of Park Honda. They charged me $54.73 for it.
OHPOC is always updated, just not the main page. When you sign in (Register)and go to the actual Forum, that is all up to date. But yes, we know it's been a problem, and they have just recently updated the main page. Sign up. We have a meet coming up on May 9-10. We are still discussing what exactly we are gonna do. Right now, I believe we are planning on having a BBQ and cruise on Sunday, and Sat. night we will be drinking and partying, but Saturday Afternoon is still up in the air right now. Sign up man, Lot's of good people on OHPOC. Everybody is very friendly.:D

Also, did they do a flush with the machine, or just a drain & Fill? $54 sounds too cheap either way. When I changed my ATF last, I bought 3 qts @ $12 each. That's $36 just for the ATF. Unless my local dealership is price gouging, which I kinda get the feeling they are. I broke a bolt yesterday, and the list price online is $3.60. (That's the list price, not the discounted price you get from the website) My dealership has it for $5.15. They mark up prices, I thinks.....

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I got mine done at Slomo in Columbus. If you can get Corey to do it, i'd jump on it. It cost me 1200 and I brought all my own parts (it is a rather labor intensive project, roughly 12 hours from what i've seen) It does take a bit of time, as usually you aren't the only project in the shop. It's not the cheapest swap in the world, but it can be done for under 3k. Mine cost me 4 including labor, but i'm a quaifed 4th gen trans in a 5th gen with short shifter, lightened flywheel, etc.

·
I am now a 5spd lude!
474 Posts
I think you should find a performance shop you trust. They will do the swap.I went to a reputable performance spot that i knew little about to do a swap, and they went as far as taking the trans down, then finding out they had to drill holes and bolted my auto trans back up and said they aint doing the swap. I went to a regualr repair shop and they did it with ease. I knew of acouple other performance shops that would do it, but didnt trust em. So ask friends and people in general who have modded hondas where they do their work, and chances are you will find someone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts