Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this? When at a stop, you make a 90 degree turn and coming out of the turn you gun it. The car seems to not want to engage vtec till it knows it is out of the turn phase and more in a straight line. This doesn't happen when going down winding country roads, just sharper slow in, fast out turns.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
#550/2500
OEM body kit
JDM fogs and blue valve cover
Happy luding

·
Registered
419 Posts
perhaps your engine was not warm enough. also, when the engine is cold my power steering is lousy from time to time on sharp turns.

------------------
-Eric
97 Nordic Mist Prelude

while i go take more.. "pleasing" pictures you'll just have to deal with this one. now wheres that dig. cam?

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
This sounds like your oil pressure is down a bit too much while under load in the turn.

If your oil is not low I would be concerned about the pump.

That ofcourse is if your engine was already warmed up.

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 14, 2001).]

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was warmed up alright. I was running around all night. When exiting a turn it fas that feel like VTEC won't engage, it then goes up high enough to hit the non-VTEC revlimiter, hits, then engages VTEC, then continues to go to VTEC revlimiter at 8000.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
#550/2500
OEM body kit
Happy luding

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cementups:
It was warmed up alright. I was running around all night. When exiting a turn it fas that feel like VTEC won't engage, it then goes up high enough to hit the non-VTEC revlimiter, hits, then engages VTEC, then continues to go to VTEC revlimiter at 8000.

</font>
Is there a non-VTEC and VTEC rev limiter? I never heard or knew that there were different limiters.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
There's only one limiter, it just acts in different situation. I think he's referring to when the limiter kicks in when the engine is cold and you're gunning it in first. But he already mentioned the engine's warm...so beats me!

cementups: how consistently does this happen, or can you make it happen? once? twice? too many times?

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
If your oil is low this can happen, especially when coming out of a sharp left turn.

Did you check your oil level?

If it wasn't then its possible the pump isn't handling the load.

This happened to me a couple of years ago before I knew what caused it. In my case simply adding oil, because it had dropped just below the add mark, solved the problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm not too sure about that...there may be 2 limiters. Reason I say that is for 1. it cuts you off when not warm, and 2. I found out that when I installed my VAFC and didn't hook up the VTM wire, I could rev up to about 6,500 and then it would abruptly cut me off. That is the extent of the low cam- 6,500 or right around there. Without my VTM wire hooked up, nothing was telling my Vtec Cam to engage, and so the low cam just kept going. It was scary. But then again, these could be both the same cut-off limiter too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
maybe possible the oil pump is running dry cause of the already mention'd turning and maybe a low oil level.

pump running dry on a hard turn in some situations is not unhear'd of and would definately cause low pressure.

that low pressure could translate to a problem for vtec engagement... seeing it uses oil pressure.

just my opinion though.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 14, 2001).]

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked my oil a few minutes ago and I seemed to be a little low. So low in fact that when I pulled the dipstick out, wiped it off, reinserted, and pulled it back out, there was absolutely no oil on the dip. sounds like problem solved. But now I have another roblem to deal with. You'll know what that problem is if you check out my most recent post.

thanks ya'll

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
#550/2500
OEM body kit
Happy luding

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Wow,

Good thing the only side effect was VTEC not engaging. If it was that low you could have had worse problems.

When my oil pressure sensor was leaking oil the level went below the stick and then clack clack clack, coming out of a left turn onto an entrance ramp.

I had been checking it frequently, but apparently the leak became worse.

Gotta check that oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts