Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did a search so don't bite my head off.

i have a 93 helms so i can't figure the 94+ elector guage wiring diagram. if anyone can help me i will love you forever;)

i know that one guy on here had rewired his but for an auto. there are NO g4 preludes that i can find in this area...philly. so dont suggest i go to a yard unless you know there is one there.

any and all help is appreciated
v

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'll be more than happy to show you how I wired mine but I'm in school right now (I made my own version of the diagram). I'll be home around 7pm PST. You said somebody did it but it was an auto? I think you were talking about my old post. Yes my electro gauge is auto but I didn't hook up the wires for the auto led because I'm swpping a manual tranny next month.

**image links no longer working**

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea that was you. i was grave digging and those were the pictures i saw. doesn't look too bad. i seen some horrible wire jobs. some insight: i have a 93 si 4ws. the guages are 95 si. i have the guages and the wiring to the invertor, and the invertor itself.

i put the old guages back in just so i can get around. but i left it open so i have immediate access. if you could get me the diagram and help me out i would REALLY appreciate it. whenever you have the chance...thanks yo

also to make this legal, penndot wants me to set the odometer to zero and put a sticker on the inside door jam denoting the change. do you know how to clear the memory?

and something else. i took the guages apart and the green connector on the left of the guages does nothing. yes there's a pc board and all but there are no connections made on that board, no resistors, no capacitors, no relays, no hotlinks, no nothing....whats up with that??

v

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i forgot, i also have the 4ws which i'd like to have the MIL for it. i know there's a spot for it but if you know the aux. pins that i could use for it and how.....thanks again.
v

·
Registered
762 Posts
I haven't opened my gauge yet but after the tranny swap I will remove the cathode tube that lights up the P, 1, 2, d3, d4. Yea those wires looked crazy. If you can get a hold of a wiring harness just match the colors & that would be just plug 'n play. Overall it took me about 2 hrs to wire those. About the legality issues I just took pics of the install showing the new mileage and I also kept my old gauge just in case. Don't worry I'll show them to you after I get off school.

Also to reset the mileage you have to play with the ROM inside the gauge. I haven't heard anyone that does this kind of service, not even dealers. If only I can have access to a ROM interface that matches the ROM inside I can probably play with it and see what's up.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this wait is killing me

·
Registered
762 Posts
ok just got back. This install is for the MANUAL tranny gauges. I assume that you have your Helms manual and you know where harness H, J and M are?

Needed: a lot of closed-end crips & shrink wrap sleeves (very helpful)

Anyways if you are to completely take out you gauges, and turn the cluster around, looking at the top/back of the cluster, from left to right there are 5 harnesses. They are labeled (from left to right) H, J, K, L and M. We are going to be using the harnesses H, J, and M. H is a 10-pin harness, J is 5, and M is also 5 (the yellow harness). The pins are also read from left to right. Again, looking at the top/back of the gauges, the pins go from left to right 1-->10 in the case of harness "H", or 1-->5 for J and M.

Wiring:
Harness H
Pin:

1. Yellow -- power
2. Pink -- speedometer
3. Splice the red/green wire from under the hood near the fuse box and run to pin -- power
4. Red/Black -- dimmer wire
5. Black -- ground
6. Orange
7. No wire
8. Light green (you need to splice the wire from the dash clock harness & run it to the pin) -- trip mileage memory
9. No wire
10. No wire

Harness J

1. No wire
2. No wire
3. No wire
4. Green/yellow -- right blinker
5. Red/blue -- high beam

*note for harness J: There is no clip you can use so you have to slip the wire over the pin, meaning slide the pin inside the sleeve of the wire.

Harness M

1. Blue/silver spots -- tachometer
2. Black -- ground
3. Red/yellow -- high beam
4. Green/blue -- left blinker
5. Blue -- SRS

There you go, all the info you should need to do the conversion. Good luck, and if you run into troubles, let me know.

-Justin

·
www.ntpog.org
7,698 Posts
Scalifludesi said:

Also to reset the mileage you have to play with the ROM inside the gauge. I haven't heard anyone that does this kind of service, not even dealers. If only I can have access to a ROM interface that matches the ROM inside I can probably play with it and see what's up.
Let me know if you find out how to mess with that...I have an old one im willing to experiment with if you find out a way.

BTW - FAQ'ed :D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont really know which harnesses are which, but i guess i'll find out. im gonna get on this hopefully when it gets dry

study for exams? or wire the guages? study for exams? wire guages? mmm guages....

v

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i can't get the speedo to work. everything else is fine. i checked voltage and continuity with the wires i ran. its just not showing the speed. i checked your schematic with the diagram in my 93 helms. the pink wire is the correct speedo wire. i've spliced and hooked to p2 of the 10p connector. so whats going on? its it fried or something?

everything else on your schematic was nice. had everything wired with the exception, in 30-45 min.

help me out someone.

v

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
of course i drove around. i dont know what else to do. should i take the guages apart and see if the motor's burnt? got them from sikprelude up there. he said he had them and they were working. im lost here.

v

·
Registered
762 Posts
If he said its working then I don't think its the motor inside the gauge. Maybe something's wrong with the speed sensor on the tranny or maybe its just a broken connection. Also make sure that the adjacent pins are not shorted with one another (cover the connectors with shrink wraps). Try putting back the old gauge and see if the speedo works. If it does, then it's gonna be a headache trying to locate the source of the problem. As far as the wiring diagram...I've triple checked it. I know they're 100% correct because mine works flawlessly.

·
formally Sik96prelude
1,061 Posts
Hey i would check the pins next each other cause you don't to let them touch cause it might short it. I showed you the pic with them in and they were working perfectly. Like said earlier check the speed sensor, try your old gauges also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts