Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there people, am new to this site but i know forums are the best place for info so here i go.

I have just bought a 2.2 vetec prelude (H22A) with 268bhp
The car has had a problem from the start with its reverse gear that it wont go into at all. The work friend said that he recently got a new gear selector fitted but it still wont go into gear.
He said its also had a gearbox rebuilt abt 20k ago which i dont know to believe or not.
When the selector got fitted the garage said the the gear rod was abit bent but not enough to cause ploblems.

Has anybody got any ideas and costs at all? The help would be fantastic, thanks

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
^Ignore that as reverse is a straight cut gear and has no synchro.

With the car fully stopped try putting it into reverse while slowly letting your foot roll back off the clutch to see if you can get it to slip into gear. Since is straight cut with no synchro it sometimes doesn't line up.

Your car has only about 200hp at the flywheel btw.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
^Ignore that as reverse is a straight cut gear and has no synchro.

With the car fully stopped try putting it into reverse while slowly letting your foot roll back off the clutch to see if you can get it to slip into gear. Since is straight cut with no synchro it sometimes doesn't line up.

Your car has only about 200hp at the flywheel btw.
Ah that's right it is straight cut, my bad :p
(also there's no telling if op's motor is modified or not)

OP, check your shift fork as well if mini's suggestion doesn't work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a manual imported from japan H22A, with 268bhp (Skunk2 air intakle manifold, AEM Induction kits, Chipped, full powerflow system including performance exhaust manifold etc).
I have been doing homework on preludes and i seem to see alot of problems with gearboxes so i checked out hondas in general and found out that Honda Gearboxes are far to soft.
Now i have to think about the strengthen the gears so i dont get this problem again but which way should i go.

Spend money and get a custom one made
recondition my own or ...............?

Any idea`s would be great

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If reverse is a straight cut gear and has no synchro could it maybe just the alignment thats went off?

Tried everythin from flush to rolling forward then stick in reverse but nothing.

All other gears work with no grinding or crunching as it was reconditioned.
Surely if all other gears work that its not the syncro but the alignment of the reverse gear?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
i had about the same problem once on mine, couldnt shift to 4th,5th n reverse.

problem on mine was the alignment, the bracket on the trans thats holds the cables broke some how

hope u firgure it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Peep game, the same thing happened to me andd it is the reverse lock out.... it is posted elsewere on this website but ill save u some time and tell you exactly how to fix it...
this is temporary ssoltion to a perminant problem.
So.... go to a parking lot and siot in nuteral rev ur **** to 1500 and slowly let the clutch outr as u try to drop it into reverse, keep calm it may not work the first attemp.... eventualy u will get it to slip into reverse..... b ut it will be stuck in reverse now and u wont be able to get it out! AAAAAAAA! drive backwards for a minute and then reverse the 1st step... rev to 1500 and slowly let the clutch out as u put it into neutural (as if u were putting it into a gear... eventualy it will go back... repeat steps 1 and 2 afuew times untill u feel a smooth shift into revers.... when u use revers after this DO NOT let it sit in revers with the clutch in.... only use revers when u have to and be verry gentle using it and take it out of revers asap because u may get stuck in revers (up against a wall this would be a bad thing ><...... i did this to my 99 prelude about 2 months ago and it worked for quite some time..... now i have absolutly no revers and live in san francisco , but my left leg is verry strong from reversing into spots with it haha.....
i dunnno what it is that is wrong with it but this will deffinitly work and u may have to repeat the procces later down the road if u are not carefull about shifting to 3rd 5th and revers... as i missed third on a red line (TWICE in a row) lol i couldent go into 5th or reverse and 3rd was were 1st should been.... i just drove slowly in 3rd and slowly moved the gears around until it felt fine, i have 5th now just no revers ><((( HAVE FUN)
Dont forget to stay calm as it will not be cool once its stuck in revers... 1500 rpm and SLOWLY with the clutch

·
Registered
80 Posts
The prelude trans isn't "soft". Yes (and I honestly had forgot it) the fork can bend and the synchros wear out, but other than that 268hp isn't going to touch the manual, the gears can handle it fine. My brother has drag raced his on slicks for over 4 years before parking it due to needing a cage running over 600hp. He's dropped from 1600cc injectors to 1000cc so he can detune some and run on pump gas again and its still going strong.
Heck there are a lot of others on honda-tech both NA and Turbo putting down good numbers and the transmissions haven't been any problem

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1 Posts
auto? tiptronic?
I have a 1999 Honda prelude with triptronic and a few days after I had bought it the reverse went out. That's the only gear i have had any issues with. It grinds really bad when i try too put it in reverse. I've been told it could be the cables or it could be the cylinoids but I've been having a hard time figuring it out. I don't know much of anything about cars so this is all new to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts