Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my car would not go into reverse. It is a manual transmission vehicle 1995 Prelude Si 2.3L. It is able to go and drive into every gear except reverse. It feels like it has a stop or something preventing it from going into reverse. It doesn't make a gear grinding noise when I try to put into to reverse, it jus doesn't go in. I'v changed the transmission fluid, tried 1st to reverse, tried letting of the clutch a little while putting it into gear, and I'v tried to pusching it back while putting it in reverse but none of theses seem to do anything. Is there anything else I can do? Or any advise on what I should try?

·
Registered
81 Posts
with the car running, put it in neutral, let the clutch out (most important part) , raise the rpm of the motor with a little gas(not that much is necessary just get it to ~1krpm, depress the clutch again and put it in reverse.

for some reason if the rpms are too low it doesnt let the reverse gear go in. Ive noticed this in all three honda stick shifts ive owned. In fact, i think its pretty normal for any manual tranny. I saw my friend struggling to get his brand new subaru in reverse the other day. It was hilarious. he just kept slamming it until it went in.

·
Unregistered
4,053 Posts
That definitely rules out the clutch. Probably a bent shift fork or something equally fun and exciting to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOthing seemed to work. I am just going to buy a new transmission and take that one out. Does anyone have a link or steps to taking out a transmission? that would help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What RPM is your engine idling at? Im not convinced youre screwed yet. If what im talking about happened, it wouldnt matter if the engine was off.

make sure the clutch is NOT pressed in at all when you raise the rpms at idle before QUICKLY putting in the clutch, and moving into second.

I think this problem develops or gets more pronounced if you are in the habbit of backing up and then going into first gear and driving away before coming to a complete stop. It puts undo stress on the synchros for the reverse and 1st gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently, my car would not go into reverse. It is a manual transmission vehicle 1995 Prelude Si 2.3L. It is able to go and drive into every gear except reverse. It feels like it has a stop or something preventing it from going into reverse. It doesn't make a gear grinding noise when I try to put into to reverse, it jus doesn't go in. I'v changed the transmission fluid, tried 1st to reverse, tried letting of the clutch a little while putting it into gear, and I'v tried to pusching it back while putting it in reverse but none of theses seem to do anything. Is there anything else I can do? Or any advise on what I should try?
What RPM is your engine idling at? Im not convinced youre screwed yet. If what im talking about happened, it wouldnt matter if the engine was off.

make sure the clutch is NOT pressed in at all when you raise the rpms at idle before QUICKLY putting in the clutch, and moving into second.

I think this problem develops or gets more pronounced if you are in the habbit of backing up and then going into first gear and driving away before coming to a complete stop. It puts undo stress on the synchros for the reverse and 1st gears.
hey I’m actually having the same problem , every gear is fine but just no reverse , I think we have the same problem . I also have a prelude , can you please tell what you did to fix this . Did u just have to get a new transmission?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts