Honda Prelude Online banner

replacing stereo head unit but keeping stock speakers, improvement?

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  quick_lude 
#1 ·
if i simply replace the head unit in my 5th gen but keep the stock speakers will i notice a decent amount of difference in bass/volume etc.. lemme know. thanx

-kevin

#4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
it depends on the output of ur new HU.

I replaced mine w/an output of 35w X 4, and I'm happy w/it.

U should ask this Q in the audio forum to get a legit answer though.
</font>
99.99999999999999999% of the headunits out there will give you better sound PERIOD.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

Joon525@Honda-Acura.net
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

#6 ·
I was wondering the same thing..cool..cause i have to get a head unit soon to go with the sub and amp i'm getting.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
it depends on the output of ur new HU.

I replaced mine w/an output of 35w X 4, and I'm happy w/it.

</font>
i'm pretty sure that's the max output / channel. what you want is RMS power.
most HU's now are at least 19-22 X 4. that'll be enough blow the doors off the stock HU.

------------------
AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
OG H-A Member
Who else wants these Jammies???

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 25, 2001).]

#8 ·
Acctually no HU is really going to give you more that 10 watts RMS. An aftermarket HU ike Pioneer, Nakamichi, or Calrion will be a great improvement. It is much cleaner sounding with tighter bass.

-----------------
Hi, Joon525 here.......I just want to clarify that when he says that no HU is going to give you more than 10RMS he's talking about a Honda stock unit not an aftermarket unit.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 25, 2001).]

#11 ·
A new HU will provide you with more volume and not much else. Sound quality only comes from speakers, not the head unit. Upgraded speakers and a stock HU will sound alot better than stock speakers and a new HU.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

#13 ·
well i'd say that the higher wattage makes it sound clearer at high volumes...at low volumes it'd be about the same as stock, and if theres any difference its because it processes the signal better

i replaced mine with a 60X4 Alpine (one of those 7864s) with about 25 or something RMS, and good improvement over stock...definetly worth the upgrade i'd say if you're in your car a lot

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by U.K VTEC:
A new HU will provide you with more volume and not much else. Sound quality only comes from speakers, not the head unit. Upgraded speakers and a stock HU will sound alot better than stock speakers and a new HU.
</font>
True and not true. While the optimal would be to get speakers to go with your new HU I can tell you that after I installed my Nak there is a night and day difference in sound. Bad amps (especially the cheapo transistor kind in the HU) lead to bad sound even with good speakers.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.