Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just recently bought a 1999 Prelude base model, 5-speed, ...i was wanting to know if I had to pull out the engine to replace the clutch, because it is slipping pretty bad when i floor it, or accelerate fast for that matter. I've never messed with a clutch and think that it may be too big of a job for me, i dont have an engine lift or any kind of transmission stands or anything, just the basic wrenches/sockets/screwdrivers/hammers, etc...no power tools :(

Is this too big of a job for me with such little equipment, or is it possible?

I do have 2 jack stands and a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack. Thx

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,084 Posts
You really don't need much equipment, but if you are not experienced I wouldn't recommend it.

Do you have a HELMS manual?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i went to get a Hane's repair manual at Advanced Auto parts, but they dont make one for the 1999 prelude, so i'd have to order one i guess from somewhere else? what equipment would i need, and how long of a process is it you think? I think i could do it...i just have to do it within 2 days ( on a weekend when im off work) i really would rather save the labor costs.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,084 Posts
Don't buy Hane's buy HELMS Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

If you have a friend you don't need another floorjack since the tranny is about 80lbs. You can use the floor jack to support and raise the engine as long as you put something on it. That way it doesn't damage the oil pan. You will need a torque wrench, and a breaker bar wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't attempt this without the HELMS if you haven't done it before. You will need to know a bunch or torque specs for mounts, flywheel, bellhousing, etc.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,084 Posts
^Yeah if you have the needed tools and parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
alright cool, i just ordered a HELMS, now i need to buy a torque wrench/breaker bar, i'll try it out, and if for some odd reason i am to fail or run into problems i'll ask you guys before i take it to a mechanic. alot of it is just research and common sense i think. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, i got my HELMS manual in, and i looked at the clutch area, it is very detailed, however, it doesn't tell me what all i have to take out to get to it... could anyone tell me please? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe it goes something like this:

1) Drain Tranny
2) Remove axles (this would be a good time to replace or reboot if needed)
3) Remove Slave Cylinder
4) Remove Shift Cables
5) Unbolt Tranny
6) Pull Tranny from engine. (This is a fun part)
7) Unbolt pressure plate
8) Remove flywheel for replacement or resurfacing
9) Install flywheel, new pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing.
10) Sacrifice small animals and prey to your God the tranny lines up and mounts easily. At this point you may have personally spilled enough blood that small animal won't be needed.
11) Put it all back together, may need to bleed clutch.

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,164 Posts
I thought you needed some type of huge "pressing-machine" type thing to provide some type of resistance against somethin....that is what I heard about replacing, and is the main reason why ive been told you cant do it on your own... bout how big does the torque wrench have to be, cause i think mine is like 20" or maybe 16", not sure, is that too bige to fit in those small places? with a HELMS and some work, how long would this take anyway?

crap...*2 days* ok sorry bout that...

sounds like a fun job, but it is possible to do one your own right?

·
street racing instructor
3,384 Posts
5.1) Remove hexhead stud from trans housing.
I have no idea what this means. I've done about 50 tranny swaps, and I don't know what this refers to...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no idea what this means. I've done about 50 tranny swaps, and I don't know what this refers to...
he means 5.1 as in inbetween step 5 and 6. He added to the above list up there. ive never replaced a clutch but i know DRRs first post on prelude power was about him rebuilding his manual tranny himself so Id guess he knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Smitty. MNludedude was being very brief and not listing every step. You may want to start with pulling the battery. You also have to remove the pass side motor mount. The starter...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts