Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm fixing to get my car repainted. Anyway, I'm just trying to make sure my shop isn't ripping me off. How much should it cost for a GOOD paintjob if the same color is done without doing the door jambs and stuff? What if I decide to get an entire color change paintjob doing door jambs and all? How much more should that cost. The guy is telling me $2800 without door jambs if I keep it the stock color and somewhere around $4000 for a complete color change. Ripoff?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
That's not a ripoff for a good quality job, but you can get it done for less definitely. $2,800 seems really high for the same color however. 3000 is a decent price for a complete color change. There is one guy in LA that does $70,000 paintjobs on Ferraris and that's not even with Mystic paint or anything. I think it takes him like 3 months to do one car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It definitely sounds high to me too. I've spoken with a guy that'll do it for $1500... but I've had bad experiences with him in the past. I want the job done right... I don't want to see any imperfections... I want the car to look brand new. The guy I'm at now has a really good reputation, but I was kinda shocked when he told me the price.

Damn! You know I've got a full-size professional $20,000 paint booth and all the hardware I need to do a paintjob. I just don't have any friends that know about that stuff... Anybody in Houston, Tx know how to do paintjobs?:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
you get what you pay for. some shop paint the whole car for a lot less than $2000, but what kind of quality are we talking about here?? a friend of mine painted the door of his GSR at a body shop for really cheap, 2 weeks it started to rust.

if you are short in budget, i guess you have no choice. but if you want a quality paint job done, be ready to pay some big $,$$$.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Jebus, cheeses.

I know a guy who paited his Black BMW 325i for $1000. He had it painted Silver.

And if you know anything about painting, tha'ts some hard shlt to paint a Black car to silver.

The whole car was painted and it looks so good now.

you're getting ripped. tell them to give you a discount or tell em that you'll take it to somewhere else.

I doubt he'll let you go. That or he's greedy bastard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jon Like Wh0a said:
you can get a better price..just try hagglin a lil ;)
Heh heh, that happens today at noon. That's the main reason I was asking the question... I needed some ammo. But seriously, I could get a blower and drop my car for that price! Thanks for all the replies... I'll let you know how it goes, plus pics after the job's done!

·
Because Raptor!
2,753 Posts
screamer5300 said:
Jebus, cheeses.

I know a guy who paited his Black BMW 325i for $1000. He had it painted Silver.

And if you know anything about painting, tha'ts some hard shlt to paint a Black car to silver.

Just wondering what makes it so hard to paint a black car silver??

·
Because Raptor!
2,753 Posts
ScottMan said:

The black tries to shine through the silver unless prepped properly. :shrug:
If you don't know to put sealer between colors you shouldn't be painting. Also unless your using cheap paint, it should be able to cover good enough to go over black with no problem.

·
game.....blouses
1,079 Posts
yea, u get what you pay for.... but then you just have to know the right ppl..... try a lowrider place... the guy i go to has had many of his cars in magazines, so just look around more, u might get lucky.

the guy i go to also does cars outta state, and i think thats where he makes alot of his money, so i assume thats why he charges cheaper, locally

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.