Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
repainted TL type S calipers on 5th gen

I repinted the calipers recently, I got alot of flack about thier paint job. they were pretty bad even though I explined that they were a first try. I was only worred about function not look at that point.

here you go...:p
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, actually no problem. I original did it to see if I could and it work out better than I had hoped.
I got the calipers very cheap I think around $100. I replaced some the seals for around $50 repainted them (twice). I used the original AEM big break kit bracket to mount them. I did need to mod the bolt holes as the TL calipers have a larger bolt then the stock prelude. Got some RSX upgraded rotors, I did need to do a lot of research on the back spacing/offset of the rotor hat.
I have more time than money invested most of it was finding a rotor I could live with. The TL rotors were an option but I wanted something bigger and lighter.
One note as far as performance I would say that it is improved BUT there is a lot of skepticism on the fact of larger calipers actually improving breaking on our cars. I believe that they do but many other have pointed out some facts about break balance/bias. I do also believe that there is some truth to this as it is something to take into account.
Many manufactures across the globe do only upgrade the calipers on their vehicles. Some only do the front, some do both front and rear some address the whole system.

At the end of the day I think it improves the breaking and there was not a lot of mods that needed to be done to get where I'm at.
The lines were the most trouble as these calipers use a diff flare then the prelude ones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I would like to do a write up on it but this forum is rather brutal, and as I see people doing write ups on several builds and getting a lot of flames and bad opinions. I have been turning tuner wrenches on all types of cars for 20 years and before that I hopped up RC cars so it’s like a way of life for me.
I find myself wondering….
I thought everyone went to kindergarten
Rule 1: if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all…
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Per some request
TL type S breaks.

First I started with an old AEM big break kit back when AEM was still making them. Well I needed new rotors but this kit is no longer made.
I did do my research, I know a lot of people do RL, NSX or Vigor upgrades and I wanted something more.
The TL type S breaks are Brembo so I started there. I got some used TL breaks from E-bay, for around $100 more or less. I rebuilt them and refinished them…… the rebuild was good the finish sucked.

First problem was the rotor, I had to find a rotor of proper diameter that also had a very similar back spacing or hat dept. I used Brembos search engine on their web site, they have one that will give you all the rotor dimensions or almost any car. Such as bolt pattern, diameter, thickness, backspacing and hat depth with all that I could match several rotors to the preludes. I settled on a couple cars the 350Z, TL or RSX. There are a couple of more that are close but the last three made the cut. I eventually settled on the TL but wanted a larger rotor. I did stumble upon a big break kit for the RSX type S from power slot. The RSX has almost the same hat depth and off set as the prelude. Power slot makes a big break kit for the RSX type S so I just got the rotors.
Only problem with the rotors is the center hole that lines up with the hub is smaller on the RSX then the Prelude about 1 or 2 MM but my drimmel tool fixed that.
I used the bracket from my original AEM big break kit to mount the calipers. I was going to get it cut down or make it thinner, because it’s offset to mount to the original hub and keep the original caliper lined up with the center of the rotor. This offset was causing the TL calipers to mount too far forward. Instead of cutting it down my buddy gave it a second look a realized we could mount it upside down. This actually located the caliper perfectly in line with the center of the rotor and at the right distance from the hub I could not have designed it better (all luck).
The TL caliper bolts are larger than the prelude so we had to drill out the holes on the bracket to the next size.
Next was the break lines ….yeah this was a pain as they are a metric threaded double flare that has a very specific line coming out of the caliper. I had to do some creative adapting to go from the Acura line out of the caliper to the stock prelude lines on the car.
After that it was bleed and test , like I said before no issues at all. I did repaint them and re-stencil the “PRELUDE” as it was tacky to begin with but all in all worked out very well.
Any question feel free to PM me
I have a scanned pdf of the bracket if anyone wants to repeat
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top