Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the track sometime this month or next whenever I check to see when it opens.
Does removing the muffler on the 5th gens do anything besides being louder???
Is it good or bad for the car???
Reason I ask is I took it off the other day and that sucker weighed quite abit, its huge!!!!
So I was thinking why not remove it for the track, do you guys/gals think it will improve my times on the 1/4 mile???

Just curious!!! Thanks. I can't wait till I get the Mugen exhaust!!!!

G

·
Yeah, it will probably help top end quite a bit. Never tried it, though.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
100 Posts
And along with the removing the cat, you could detonate several nuclear bombs, dump your used oil in local rivers and streams, and burn the American flag, all in the name of environmentalism.

But seriously folks, i've heard that removing the cat can free up a fair amount of power, although don't keep it off for too long.

------------------
1990 Volvo 740 Turbo/IC
The Swedish Honda

[This message has been edited by lbkornhusker (edited April 16, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
At the track some of my friends remove their exhaust, and sometimes run with the exhaust on, they say having it off helps their top end and I have seen better 1/4 times when they have it off. However, they have turbo so I am not sure how it would do on a n/a car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply everyone, appreciate it!
So thats what I'm trying to find out if anyone has done it before back to back and compare the results. Cause our muffler has so many chambers or resonators as some would call it and if taking that out wouldn't that be more free flowing? Does it affect the backpressure??????

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
i used to drive my car with my muffler off...
God it used to be so loud...I liked, cuz i got all da attention, but when you are at a lights, the fumes WILL SIP INTO THE PASSENGER CABIN, SO HAVE YOUR WINDOW OPEN!!! when you are moving, it's coo those..
and it's only loud when you step on the gas, when you idle and stuff it is quiet, a cop was right next to me, and I shifted early so it wouldn't be so loud, and I didn't get pulled over..

------------------

·
Registered
164 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts