Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my car is a 1999 fifth gen 4WS model. (before anyone goes "but there arent any fifth gen 4ws models" - i live in europe, thats how we get 'em here)... anyway i'm considering removing my 4WS system....

how much does this lighten the car?

how much bugger wheels (width) can u fit on the car then?

do you have turn radius problems afterwards?

is this a costly procedure?

will handling get worse?

thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
You will lose 100-200 lbs. Your handling will get worse. Your turning radius will get worse. 4ws is a good thing why would you get rid of it? You could remove vtec while your at it.

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will lose 100-200 lbs. Your handling will get worse. Your turning radius will get worse. 4ws is a good thing why would you get rid of it? You could remove vtec while your at it.
i asked those questions saying i was "considering" doing it... if it reduces my handling i wouldnt. i can live iwth a bad turning radius. the only reason i'd take it off is to put on bigger wheels + improve speed by reducing weight.

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so is 4ws a parking gadget or does it actually help handling?

·
Registered
610 Posts
nuro said:

i asked those questions saying i was "considering" doing it... if it reduces my handling i wouldnt. i can live iwth a bad turning radius. the only reason i'd take it off is to put on bigger wheels + improve speed by reducing weight.
The local Regional Solo-2 champion (not last year, but the previous 5 consecutive!) used to have a 4th gen 4WS.

Hey said that disconnecting it made the car feel worse, but it was actually MUCH faster. So what's more important, feeling fast or being fast....

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey said that disconnecting it made the car feel worse, but it was actually MUCH faster. So what's more important, feeling fast or being fast....
tough question. is there a fuse you can pull to disactivate 4ws so that you can see what the car will feel like (handling, not power obviously) without it?

J

·
0 Posts
Prelude2War said:
5th gen related not forth gen.... moved
well since the majority of 5th gen's don't have 4WS whereas there are some 4th gens that do, I think it was in the right place.:)

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well since the majority of 5th gen's don't have 4WS whereas there are some 4th gens that do, I think it was in the right place.
im not trying to get into an argument here, but the 4th gen owners are the ones who will know stuff about this. not the 5th gen ones...

edit- maybe i should have posted this in the general discussion forum...

·
Registered
779 Posts
the problem i see with just pulling the fuse is that the rear will become limp....the 4ws doesnt move the rear wheels as much as the front, granted, but wth out the system activated i would be scared that the handling would be affected in a negative way....on the track its a different thing, but on the street its better to be safe...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Lewd Lude said:
the problem i see with just pulling the fuse is that the rear will become limp....the 4ws doesnt move the rear wheels as much as the front, granted, but wth out the system activated i would be scared that the handling would be affected in a negative way....on the track its a different thing, but on the street its better to be safe...
Yes your right I'm sure it never occured to Honda or the DOT that the fuse could blow and make the car dangerous...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Marsh said:

Yes your right I'm sure it never occured to Honda or the DOT that the fuse could blow and make the car dangerous...:rolleyes:
Im not saying its dangerous, but less than ideal....

its like the spare wheel, it works, but you wouldnt do an autox in one would you?

less cynisism would be appreciated...

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so when u pull out the fuse are the rear wheels then locked in the last position they were, or do they turn freely?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
when 4ws is disabled the rear wheels lock into the normal position that non 4ws cars have.

·
Registered
779 Posts
ExodusFX said:
when 4ws is disabled the rear wheels lock into the normal position that non 4ws cars have.
but they will not be a stiff as a non 4ws car would be due to the linkages...the stiffness would be due to the motor being locked up, not due to the structure...

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Lewd Lude said:

but they will not be a stiff as a non 4ws car would be due to the linkages...the stiffness would be due to the motor being locked up, not due to the structure...
actually, the wheels are locked centered by two strong support springs, one on each side of the rear actuator. the motor has to push against the springs whenever 4ws is enabled, to turn the rear wheels at all. i do see your point, but it isn't as if the rear wheels would have anything resembling free play with 4ws disabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump a 18 year old post, haha. But when the 4ws isnt working, as mentioned previously it is centered by springs. But the back end does drift around at highway speed, quite a bit too. When i first got mine the 4ws light was stuck on and it was very floaty driving at highway speed, especially on rough roads. When i reset the 4ws code i noticed a massive gain in stability. Obviously working 4ws is better in every way. But as they age and brake they become obsolete it might be worth considering to do a 4ws delete. But to do that you would need to lock the tie rods to the chassis which will involve welding no doubt. But the tie rods must be adjustable to set rear camber obviously.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts