Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FML :mad: , I read that soaking your pistons in degreaser will help remove all the carbon build up, so i did and it removed the grey coating off completely on 3 of my h22a1's pistons. Now the pistons just look silver and not the grey coated like the other one is. (Bad Idea right)
I was wondering if i would need to buy new pistons now? :( I know the walls are frm and the coating helps with heat, but all other aftermarket pistons have no coating? (Is it really essential ?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i dont have any good info for you to be honest. however i can tell you what i would do. i believe the coating is to prevent the pistoms from eating the FRM sleeves. if you already have the pistons out, why not upgrade to the type s pistons? thats what i would do, upgrade the pistons, and retune.

and if you read up, the uncoated aftermarket pistons, require you to sleeve the block. as they eat the FRM garbage. the type s pistons, are cast and coated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the good info, would i need to get new rods, and would i need to to hone, and this will be my Daily Driver so should i really upgrade, is it really worth it?

thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
im a little rough on information, im a subaru guy. im 99% sure you do not have to change rods, i would however replace the bearings, which assuming you washed your pistons out of the engine... (how would you wash them in it?) you should probably do anyways. do some research on bearings, you cannot just buy a set, drop them in and expect them to last long. you need to plasti gauge them and buy the correct size bearings for your engine.

if i killed my piston coating, i would still go type s even on a DD, as the h22a1 is pretty gutless IMO, but this mod will make your car much more enjoyable as a DD (IMO).

i believe the factory fuel injectors will handle them, but im NOT positive.

work for type s piston swap

hone block (why wouldnt you? the pistons are out...)
install pistons
buy chipabble ECU
install chip with basemap for h22a1 with type s pistons.

really not much to it. you just need to make sure your car is tuned for the mod, as i cannot garuntee your engine will last long untuned. total cost for the average DIYer
250$ - type s pistons
125$ - chippable ECU
20$ - chip with base map
7.50 - harbor freight hone

Total cost 402.50

Taking pride in having done all the work yourself.... priceless.

OT for a sec, i heard an acronym im sure youve all heard, but for those that havnt...

Virtually
Torque-less
Economy
Car

·
Registered
45 Posts
250$ - type s pistons
125$ - chippable ECU
20$ - chip with base map
7.50 - harbor freight hone

Total cost 402.50

Taking pride in having done all the work yourself.... priceless.
Where exactly have you found a 250$ set of type s pistons?? I've seen knock-offs for around that price but not the real deal. Pistons for that price sounds amazing!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts