Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that their mechanic can tell if a car has been driven hard and redlining, when he opens the engine up.
I know driving your car hard WILL wear out your valves and other little things...
But how much? if it really messes it up, i don't feel like racing (in a SS, yeah right!
) and redlining and stuff. Has anyone opened up their car and seen the wear? if so, how do you drive?
And I don't believe in the "preludes were designed to be driven hard, that all what VTEC is about.." crap... I know VTEC is nice and all, but I also know VTEC hurts my car.
I can hear her "scream.

Oh yeah, only reason I am saying this is that I think I am gonna keep this car for a while and I don't wanna be paying for engine repairs.

------------------

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
ugh.. can we put something about this in FAQ?.. i think this is the 100th time i'm reading this question.

all i gotta say is.. unless your going to keep your car for 10 years, i'd rev the **** out of it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't know what a mechanic would look for, but I'm sure the harder you drive it, the more wear and tear you'll get. I don't think hitting VTEC is any worse than going to 5500 or more on any other high revving car though. Drive however you please, and along with regular maintenance, I'm sure it will last a very long time. But also know that some people have put some very high miles with plenty of abuse on some 4th gen VTEC and non-VTEC cars, and many hold up well, again assuming good maintenance.

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bronx99:
ugh.. can we put something about this in FAQ?.. i think this is the 100th time i'm reading this question.
</font>
But then again...it's not like the people who post these questions (no offense directed at you joedaddy...just making a generalized statement
) even check the faq...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OvaDaLimiT:
But then again...it's not like the people who post these questions (no offense directed at you joedaddy...just making a generalized statement
) even check the faq...

</font>
agreed.. newbies

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.bjunkyard.com" TARGET=_blank>

</A>

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
i wanna throw in my opinion as well.
to overly simplify it: if VTEC is so bad why do our cars have that capability?

i don't think a dealer can refuse to fix your car or anyting like that just because you use VTEC, right?

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts