Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought my prelude last year i got only 2 keys. Does it matter that i dont have the red key, cuz i know i can get other keys made i was just thinking bout its know. Also i never got a owner's mannuel does any one have a spare that i could possibly buy off of them.

-josh
 

·
Tall-Scott
Joined
·
5,784 Posts
I'm pretty sure the red key cancels out the code of your current keys so that if your keys are stolen or lost the person who has them cannot start the car. So you don't really NEED it IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
The RED key is the 'Master' for the Immobilizer. To cut new keys you should have this one available as only a Honda dealer (as I've been told) can actually program your keys if you don't have a black one available. NEVER use the REd key for any reason other than to have new keys made.
To obtain an Owners manual-go to www.helminc.com and order it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guy, yea i know not to use the red from readin a few post on here.

josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the red key. You would have to go to the dealer to get one, but the only time you use the red key is when you need to go to the dealer to get work done that involves the immobilizer. So save yourself a trip and wait until you actually need something done (if ever). I bought my Prelude new in spring of 2000 and I've never touched the red key since then (it's never even been out of its packaging).
 

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
Ok, here is the deal:

The Red Key is the Learning Key for your Immobilizer Control Unit (ICU) and Electronic Control Unit (ECU).

Without the Red key you can not teach the car new keys that are allowed to operate the vehicle. In otherwords, you can not get spare keys made that will work.

The ICU is the unit that reads the keys and verifies that they are the keys for your specific vehicle.

If you loose your Red key and ever need another set of keys, the dealer will need to replace the ICU and the keys. This is not cheap.

The procedure can not be done using the ICU and Red key from a wreck, as the ECU also must be programmed with the new key codes. The programming of the ECU is done with a Honda PGM tester and a special program that sychronizes the two computers (ICU/ECU).

If you were doing a SS Auto to 5 Speed conversion and got the ICU / the ECU / and all the keys from a wreck, then you'd not require any special tools - you could just put them in and the car would start with the new keys.
 

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
Joined
·
12,349 Posts
Gerhard said:
Ok, here is the deal:

The Red Key is the Learning Key for your Immobilizer Control Unit (ICU) and Electronic Control Unit (ECU).

Without the Red key you can not teach the car new keys that are allowed to operate the vehicle. In otherwords, you can not get spare keys made that will work.

Ummm...u are soo wrong on that. or you could be right too. When i got my car..i only got one key...the master..and the red one too. I went to honda and had them make a key from the spare one. i put the spare one in and it started right up. didnt even use the red key..but maybe i dont understand what u wrote...but from what im readin thats what it sounds like. Im not tryin to knock you man just giving my experience:argue:
 

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
N2oSH said:


Ummm...u are soo wrong on that. or you could be right too. When i got my car..i only got one key...the master..and the red one too. I went to honda and had them make a key from the spare one. i put the spare one in and it started right up. didnt even use the red key..but maybe i dont understand what u wrote...but from what im readin thats what it sounds like. Im not tryin to knock you man just giving my experience:argue:
-grin-

Well,

Since each key has a transponder in it, and the ICU/ECU need to be programmed using the Red Learning key, the only thing I can think of is that they had kept one of your keys, or that they can use an existing Master key to program another. In the potential case of the possibility of using the Master key to create another: It's my understanding that each key is hard coded at the factory and unique. As such, you are supposed to need the Learning key to tell the car's computers about the new key.

When you buy your Prelude you are supposed to get:

1 Red Learing Key
2 Black Master Keys
1 Grey Valet Key

I know that I'm not wrong because pages 23-195 to 23-198 in the Helms service manual are very specific.

-Gerhard
 

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
N2oSH said:


Ummm...u are soo wrong on that. or you could be right too. When i got my car..i only got one key...the master..and the red one too. I went to honda and had them make a key from the spare one. i put the spare one in and it started right up. didnt even use the red key..but maybe i dont understand what u wrote...but from what im readin thats what it sounds like. Im not tryin to knock you man just giving my experience:argue:
I'm going to have to applogize to N2oSH:

According to w0rdie Honda now has something called T5 s
eries keys.

They can now duplicate one of your black keys for $25.00 each.

I'm stll trying to determine if the car needs to be reprogrammed when you replace your ECU.

-Gerhard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
Gerhard said:


I'm going to have to applogize to N2oSH:

According to w0rdie Honda now has something called T5 s
eries keys.

They can now duplicate one of your black keys for $25.00 each.

I'm stll trying to determine if the car needs to be reprogrammed when you replace your ECU.

-Gerhard
when i bought my car in 98 the red was for making copies. it was what contained the code for the chip in our master key and the spare key you shoulda recieved when you bought the car new. i recieved 2 black one grey and one red.

both of you guys are right tho. because now they can make the keys without the red program key. i dont understand the use for the red key anymore tho. i think honda changed it for the simple reason it made more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of the valet key. If it unlocks the doors and starts the car, why did honda prevent it from opening the trunk? I know all you have to do with the valet key is to open the door and pop the trunk from inside the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
ShoRyuKen said:
I don't understand the purpose of the valet key. If it unlocks the doors and starts the car, why did honda prevent it from opening the trunk? I know all you have to do with the valet key is to open the door and pop the trunk from inside the car.
actually theres a lock on the floor that prevents you from opening the trunk from the inside of the car....and the valet key wont work on the trunk or the inside lock. and you cant use it on the back deck either.
 

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
Joined
·
12,349 Posts
hey Gerhard, its cool dont worry about it...thats why were on here to express our opinion and everyone is wrong once in a while as long as others dont flame on each other its all good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I had my 2001 Honda prelude broken in and the busted the back quarter window and took my mast3r n red key n key fob. My insurance cut me a check to repair it myself how much is a new set of keys for the red key and regular keys n fobs gonna cost and where can I go to buy this stuff?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top