Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you know how when you change your oil and then start the car up again, the light will come on for a second and then shut off? On my car it has never appeared again until the next time I drain and change the oil.

I did an oil change last weekend and every time I start up the car, I get the light coming on and then shutting off :confused:

I've checked the oil level and looked for puddles, and I am not leaking. I used Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Mobil M-105 filter, the same combo I have been using for the last four changes or so.

Any idea what is causing this? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
not sure about your problem, but my oil light doesn't come on after i change the oil

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Tony said:
not sure about your problem, but my oil light doesn't come on after i change the oil
Either does mine...

Do you use the same oil filter every time? If so, what is it?

Gerhard

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same type of filter yes, but of course a new one for each change.

It is a Mobil M-105.

I am sure the oil light coming on for a second after the change is normal, as I remember reading about it (in the owner's manual I think).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
there is no logical reason for the light to come on....i doubt the ECU knows when the oil has been changed to display any kind of notice. I use STS filter all the time. But occasionally bring my car in to honda for the change.

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony said:
there is no logical reason for the light to come on....i doubt the ECU knows when the oil has been changed to display any kind of notice. I use STS filter all the time. But occasionally bring my car in to honda for the change.
Well, not that it matters, but I think the light comes on briefly because the filter is empty (maybe?), then shuts off as the oil circulates.

If you don't believe me I still think it is in the manual. I'll check tonight.

·
Registered
469 Posts
shik0me said:
[BI did an oil change last weekend and every time I start up the car, I get the light coming on and then shutting off :confused:
[/B]
That's the way it is always supposed to work. The oil light should come on momentarily when you first start the car, then it should go off and stay off. If your light never comes on something is not working properly.

·