Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking to swap my oh so crappy SS tranny in the near future. Does anyone have any recommendations for a tranny to use? I found a place that can get me pretty much any tranny. I know almost any 92-01 tranny will fit but does any one have any recommendations as to which one will perform better? Take in account I will be building for turbo at the end of this summer. I was thinking maybe an H23 tranny. But I wasn't sure how the ecu would work.

Can anyone shine any light on the subject?

·
Your mom seems to like it
612 Posts
Accord Type R tranny. Man sport compact car had a review of the car and said it was one of the best tranny's performance wise.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
i think its next to imposible to get that in US the accord type r tranny.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know Satan SRV used one but it cost him crazy money and the gear ratios on that tranny don't really justify the additional cost. Granted it comes with an integrated LSD but it is a relatively weak OEM unit. I researched this swap a while back but the cost of that tranny made it prohibitive. My biggest question is if I went with something like an H23 tranny what would I have to do to my ECU to get it to work?

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
u need to do the same thing to any manual transmission, regardless whether it be h22, h23, the accord tranny...the only problem with your ecu is that its programmed to an automatic transmission instead of manual. do a search, because I remember there was someone that was trying to figure out what to bypass in the auto ecu to make it work with the manual tranny without throwing CELS. Another solution is to just pick up a manual tranny ecu and have the dealer reprogram it to your car.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Does it cost a lot to go to the dealer and reprogram your ECU to work with your car ...and what exectly do they do to it.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
try asking zameoj or heres a thread about rewiring the auto ecu.
http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114203

i cheated and used hondata and a p28 ecu which made any of the other stuff unneccessary. If you plan on going FI with your car later, your best bet is to go with a standalone management so the hondata route might be a good investment for you, and you can avoid all the ecu trouble right now :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a 95 non VTEC Prelude tranny with under 65,000 miles for 650 with a 1 year warranty? Would this work decently or should I look for something else. I couldn't find many H23 trannies with decent mileage. I can pick up a manual ECU for like 300.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
h23 transmission with a warranty is excellent. the price is very reasonable. sometimes when you see places sell the tranny for cheaper like 400 or 300, the gears end up grinding, and the syncros are messed up. warranty sounds great. i dont know how much manual ecu goes for, but you might be able to get it lower than that? another suggestion: if you have the funds for it, throw in an lsd like kaaz or quaife, and a lightened flywheel while everything is already opened up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to the web page is is an 2.2 liter prelude non-vtec tranny. Wasn't able to find any decent h23 trannies.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
JonBaker99 said:
I found a 95 non VTEC Prelude tranny with under 65,000 miles for 650 with a 1 year warranty? Would this work decently or should I look for something else. I couldn't find many H23 trannies with decent mileage. I can pick up a manual ECU for like 300.
Don't forget that you are going to need a bunch of other parts... and you'll need to have the ignition system reprogrammed by the dealer.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
yeah, lots of other stuff- people have made some great threads about it.
-manual starter, clutch lines, master and slave cylinders, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage, shifter assembly, clutch and brake pedals, half shaft, gauge cluster (not neccessary) ,side tranny mount, misc clips bolts, brackets ....off the top of my head i mean.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I realize all that but I am trying to price out the most expensive parts rirght now :p

So what do you think about the tranny?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any chance an SH tranny would work without ATTS, just SH tranny alone?

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
make sure you dont get a f22 tranny. it would be worth the money...... gears are way too long....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found an f22 engine and tranny for like $600 I am very tempted. Long gears are good for boost.

·
Registered
179 Posts
but 600 is way too much. go on car-parts.com and search. they are selling h23 trannies for 300 bucks and some with warranty for a little more.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts