Honda Prelude Online banner

1521 - 1537 of 1537 Posts

·
12,807 Posts
How hard is it to hook up the Ring cam?
I'm thinking of getting that doorbell and maybe a few cameras for my house.

I have a Ring Doorbell Pro (upgraded from a Doorbell 2) and a Floodlight camera in the backyard.

If I were to do it again I'd go with Nest.

The battery powered doorbells were unreliable, and the video quality is mediocre. The hardwired versions are much better.

When I had the Doorbell 2 (wired but battery powered), it would often start recording after ups / fedex already dropped off the package instead of when they were approaching the door, so I would never see a face. This was explained that to save battery power the polling for a trigger is not very high, so the reaction was a little slow. That said ring customer service is great and they upgraded me to a Pro (which doesn't run off a battery). Now the quality is better and reliability is much better.

My floodlight cam has issues and always turns on the lights randomly. On off on off all night. Fiddled with all the settings, nothing's fixes it. Ring says the trigger may be from "passive infrared heat detection" and want me to relocate the camera to see if that fixes it, but that means I have to move the junction box, which I'm not doing after i've already drilled holes.

Nest > Ring for facial recognition. I hate getting notifications when I'm walking out the door or into my backyard.

Also nest plays much better with google smart home integration. I run alexa at home as well, but ring + alexa isn't as advanced.

Nest costs more though.

Edit: As for installation, the doorbell is easy. Hardest part is drilling and mounting an anchor if you have stucco. The floodlight I had to tap into power and add a junction box.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
How hard is it to hook up the Ring cam?
I'm thinking of getting that doorbell and maybe a few cameras for my house.
Super easy. I'm using the power versions not battery. No issues with the camera and lights, we did have to turn the sensitivity down a little and set the motion detection zones but since we've done that it's been perfect.

I saw the comments above about Nest, I have their fire alarms but I really dislike google so won't have any other nest stuff in the house. I know amazon are no angels but we're running with Alexa, so far all good, although yesterday it seemed to have forgotten how to control the hue bulbs....

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,523
Are you gonna leave the wrapping on the spoiler when you install it, like all the Dodge people leave their yellow guards on their chin spoilers? :laugh:
LOL, definitely not. Speaking of those guards, Dodge is supposedly repainting them purple as a deterrent from this practice. Somehow, I don't think changing the color will make any difference. They might even think it's cooler than the yellow!

Attachment is the spoiler from an angle. Will install the splitter this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
LOL, definitely not. Speaking of those guards, Dodge is supposedly repainting them purple as a deterrent from this practice. Somehow, I don't think changing the color will make any difference. They might even think it's cooler than the yellow!
It's going to make the yellow ones valuable, people will be selling them, no doubt about it.

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,152 Posts
Thank you guys for shedding some light on these devices. I just lost my reply to a bad cookie and am pissed off. I will retype it in the morning.

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,152 Posts
So apparently Amazon hardly carries anything for Nest. :rolleyes:

I am not a tech guy and I do not really intend on doing the phone notification thing. I really am just looking for something that can detect people around the property and record the video to a harddrive.
But I have a funny feeling Nest/Ring upload footage to some kind of cloud...???

My friend actually gave me a wired set of cameras and harddrive from at least 10 years back, but I really would rather not string all that wire around/through the house, I figured most new stuff like Ring/Nest are wireless security systems, is that not the case? The footage of that setup can't be great either...

Should I get additional cameras and incorporate them into my doorbell thingy, or do an additional stand-alone system?

Thanks everyone! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yeap, service charge. I didn't think rings $3 / device / month or $10 unlimited was all that bad. I just paid the $100 for the year to get the extended warranty too.

I will add a small UPS to the routers and the camera just in case someone does try to get access and somehow kills the power. Nest were really open and great before google got their grubby hands on it. I'm really annoyed I've nest protect alarms and they won't talk to the echo or the hue bridge.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It might be blasphemy to some:

I've gone for the long-range version, should be with me on Tuesday. I've also ordered the Nomad wireless charging mat for phones and the Jeda USB hub to house a endurance memory stick to record dashcam / sentry footage. Quite looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Tesla is the most valuable US manufacturer now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,536
It might be blasphemy to some:

I've gone for the long-range version, should be with me on Tuesday. I've also ordered the Nomad wireless charging mat for phones and the Jeda USB hub to house a endurance memory stick to record dashcam / sentry footage. Quite looking forward to it.
So now you have this AND the Aston for your "fun car"?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So now you have this AND the Aston for your "fun car"?
Yep. The Aston might make way for a DB11 AMR if I can convince the better half that we need ISO fix in the fun car :laugh:

The 3 was a sensible choice though, we have a baby, the only car with rear seats is Iris' Yaris hybrid, its way too cramped. I was paying 360 euros per month for the train and door to door was 1:20. Tesla lease is 500 / month and door to door is 39 mins, we can also take the Ferry over to the UK with all our stuff to see my family so it was time to get a sensible car :)

1521 - 1537 of 1537 Posts