Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok has anyone put 6by9s in there rear deck?? I wana upgrade my size a little when i put my new radio in. I got a quote for 100$ to raise the rear deck some so the speakers wont hit the trunk bars. What do you guys think?? I could put some fatties in the rear and really clean up the sound. Those little suckers just dont cut it. Even with an expensive pair.

·
ANGER IS A GIFT!
4,481 Posts
I don't even have rear speakers ;)

You could easily do it all your self with a dremel and some spacers + imagination. I would save the hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I dont have rear speakers either now that I have a vtec 6x9 assembly. I would look into finding a vtec assembly and putting a good 6x9 in.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I've got some Infinity Kappas in the rear deck. They've got HUGE magnets, they DO hit the crossbars, but the magnets have a thick rubber "jacket" type thing that covers them up. Haven't had any problems.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
and it will probably be impossible to fit 6x9s back there anyways because of the glass and you'll have to remove the torsion bars... 6x9's are way too deep.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i had infinity kappas before my car got stolen. But now i have some crappy speakers sitting in the holes.

The kappas have nice high and good mid range but the low is really lacking. If i get some 6x9's they have a little more kick to them, the stock system on the 5th gen really bumps.

yea my kappas were riding hard on the Xbars. I had to cut the crap out of my stock mounts to get them in. But even my stock mounts are gone now from the theft. So i gota order the little mounts before i can mount the speakers anyway.

The glass will not be an issue, they only have to raise it 1-2 inches. That cuts my visibility a bit but i dont think it will be a big deal. These guys do professional installations so im sure it will look good, they promised it would look like stock.

Yea i think for the price of the 6x9 center i can get the 2 put in. I gota have the rears, i just need to have a nice sound system.

So no one has done it???

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
[SUB[EX] said:
well i had infinity kappas before my car got stolen. But now i have some crappy speakers sitting in the holes.

The kappas have nice high and good mid range but the low is really lacking. If i get some 6x9's they have a little more kick to them, the stock system on the 5th gen really bumps.

yea my kappas were riding hard on the Xbars. I had to cut the crap out of my stock mounts to get them in. But even my stock mounts are gone now from the theft. So i gota order the little mounts before i can mount the speakers anyway.

The glass will not be an issue, they only have to raise it 1-2 inches. That cuts my visibility a bit but i dont think it will be a big deal. These guys do professional installations so im sure it will look good, they promised it would look like stock.

Yea i think for the price of the 6x9 center i can get the 2 put in. I gota have the rears, i just need to have a nice sound system.

So no one has done it???
Well that sucks. I plan on eventually getting a 6x9 sub and sticking it in the stock spot in the VTECs. Someday when I have money.

·
Registered
186 Posts
cantdrive55:
Good info as I'm about to get Infiniti Kappas for my insides too. Thanks.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
i looked everywhere for "6x9s in the rear deck" installation when i first got my car cuz i had a brand new set of 6x9's left over from my old car and i wasn't able to find anyone who had done it. good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually... a good 6.5" will have more "kick" to them than a 6x9. A round speaker always has better low than an oblong speaker. Maybe your deck just isn't pushing enough power?? I have an alpine CDA-7893 with alpine 6.5's all around. Because my deck pushes 60 watts per channel... it sounds REALLY good. People always ask me if I have an 8 or 10 inch sub in the trunk because of the bass... i just reply... "nope... I love alpine"

So maybe try amping the 6.5's or getting a better deck.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats true, those speakers had like a 300 watt max each or somthing and i was only running 45 per speaker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts