Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken off the cotter pin and nut and now I need to get the arm that comes up from the lower part near the brake assembly off. I do not have a pittman arm tool or the honda ball joint separator. How else can I get this off?

·
Zoom-Zoomin
1,461 Posts
if you are replacing the ball joint, just wack the stud with a hammer.

if you want to save the ball joint, get a big hammer and hit the side of the upright where the ball joint stud goes through. Sometimes you can knock the stud loose that way.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not trying to get it out. Im just trying to separate it from the main control arm without using a pittman arm tool or a honda ball joint separator.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If it doesn't come off by hitting the arm to knock it loose, you need either the tool or telekinesis.

Just buy one, they're only like 8 bucks at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
paulyg said:

if you want to save the ball joint, get a big hammer and hit the side of the upright where the ball joint stud goes through. Sometimes you can knock the stud loose that way.
Carfull. We ruined a ball joint this weekend like that on my friends lude. Damn thing never came loose. So we rented a pitman and bought a new balljoint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could try putting the castle nut back on slightly loose and hit the bottom of the bolt with a hammer to try to get it loose, but it's a little tricky. If you don't put the nut back on you will just mess up the threads inside the arm and it will be real difficult to get it out.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
We didn't mess up the threads. The ball joint bent.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so now that i got it separated, strut in, why is the joint turning while i try to put the castle nut back on ?? :(

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
xxH22Axx said:
does the pittman ruin the ball joint?
Not if you use it correctly.

The ball-joint is designed to spin like that - if it's spinning so much that you can't tighten the nut, you might have damaged the threads slightly. Not a big deal, it just makes it a pain to tighten.

A couple things you can try:

Jack up the suspension on that corner via the lower control arm - that'll put pressure on the upper A-arm & ball-joint & help to hold it in place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Or get a pair of padded vice grips or the like to hold the bolt in place while you tighten the castle nut. Once you get it past the rough spot on the threads (or whatever it's stuck on) it should tighten up the rest of the way by itself.

Another way to do it would be to use some kind of C-clamp to clamp the ball-joint bolt tight (one end of the clamp on top of the A-arm, the other on the bottom of the bolt). That might leave you more clearance to get a wrench on the castle nut.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i was actualy helping this guy install it, the other side came off with ease without the pittman. The other side was a *****. Now the actual ball joint screw is turning when we try to tighten the castle nut to it. Would this be a brokin joint?

·
Registered
101 Posts
nevermind... he got it to work

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOO HOOO I FINALLY GOT IT! Car is at the shop overnight getting aligned (i took it in too late :( )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts